What are the challenges faced by disillusioned math majors in finding a job?
- Topic: Math
- Thread starter homeylova223
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Major Math major
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
127 replies · 26K views
Physics news on Phys.org
akela
- 4
- 1
You could also look into science librarianship as a career. It would require getting an MLS or MIS degree, which takes around a year of full-time study.
English librarians are a dime a dozen, but science ones are rare and in high demand. While the pay is not as high as in industry, universities can be pleasant working environments.
English librarians are a dime a dozen, but science ones are rare and in high demand. While the pay is not as high as in industry, universities can be pleasant working environments.
homeylova223
- 104
- 22
With the internship I honestly feel a bit ignored. Because it is remote we only communicate through email, teams and some online videos. I am being paid but they seem disinterested I do not know. Maybe it is because of the work from home situation.
Education Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,074
- 1,156
As someone who works full-time from home (and have worked remotely full-time pre-pandemic), it is more challenging to maintain connections with your fellow co-workers.homeylova223 said:With the internship I honestly feel a bit ignored. Because it is remote we only communicate through email, teams and some online videos. I am being paid but they seem disinterested I do not know. Maybe it is because of the work from home situation.
I would suggest that you take the initiative and set up meeting times with your managers or other co-workers. You should send meeting invites on Outlook, Google Mail (or whatever e-mail and meeting service you have) at a time when you and your manager are both available (you should be able to check their availability on Outlook), and outline a clear agenda of discussion. Whether that would be the specifics of your work, any questions you have, your work progress, possibilities of full-time employment, etc.
It's important that you be assertive. I say this because I get the sense from your posts here on PF that you come across as a passive person, waiting for someone else to reach out to you. In such a situation you are more likely to be overlooked, so try to avoid this if at all possible.
Last edited:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 16,226
- 2,896
The company likely has a limited number of entry-level positions and may offer full-time positions to interns who demonstrate their value. Right now is your chance to convince them you should be one of those candidates.homeylova223 said:1. They are BS MATH, MS Math
2. I asked them but they not give me an answer. They said we will have more interns over the summer but I want a full time job. I wish I could talk to the hiring manager I sent him some emails but this is like a remote position.
Of course, even if you prove to be a potential full-timer, there are other reasons why a company may not offer you a job. It might just not be hiring, etc. What you don't want to do is leave them with a negative impression that gets you on a do-not-hire list.
A fellow instructor once told me he loved the students when he taught math at a high school; it was the adults that drove him nuts. Dealing with parents and administrators was the real headache.homeylova223 said:3. I considered it. But I heard it is really tough dealing with teenagers, you have to be someone who can handle minors, I can teach math but you also have to keep order in the classes.
You'd have to get a teaching credential, and you'll learn some classroom management skills along the way. So I wouldn't let fear of that stop you, but I understand your concern. As Mark noted, teaching at a CC could be a good option for you.
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
- 3,212
- 3,841
I don't think you should necessarily take this personally. It is often the case where the mentors are under pressure to get project tasks completed on time, while explaining to the intern takes longer than doing the work themselves. Other times, mentors are assigned on the day the intern arrives, with no prior warning. A good internship program addresses these problems systematically. Even then, the intern's experience is vastly improved by a mentor who makes the effort.homeylova223 said:With the internship I honestly feel a bit ignored.
It is sad to see interns (3rd year engineering students) assigned jobs like, "scan all this microfiche to pdf files."
Education Advisor
- 1,904
- 1,750
Remember, there's still a pandemic going on. Many businesses are still having having a hard time forecasting what their hiring needs and available funding will be.homeylova223 said:I thought if you get an internship you would be offered a full time role at the end. But I do not think that will happen ...
Last edited:
homeylova223
- 104
- 22
I thought I would provide an update, since many people have viewed my thread and probably are curious about my progress. I was able to find a full time job as a supply chain analyst in a large retail company a couple of weeks ago.
I mostly work by creating SQL queries and making dashboard by importing them to tableau so far.
I am not finished with my degree yet but I think industrial engineering was a good choice.
I hope this job goes well.
I mostly work by creating SQL queries and making dashboard by importing them to tableau so far.
I am not finished with my degree yet but I think industrial engineering was a good choice.
I hope this job goes well.