What Are the Cis and Trans Names for 2-Butene?

  • Thread starter Thread starter phys1618
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Organic Structure
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
phys1618
Messages
105
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



CH3CH=CHCH3
What's the cis and trans structure name for this formula?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I've drew the ciis and trans structure

H\ /H
C = C
/ \
CH3 CH3
this is the cis

the tran is similar to the cis except the H and CH3 is at the top, CH3 and H is at the bottom of the double bonded C. I'm not sure what's the name of it. i know there's four carbon, so butane is usually what we say it is, but it has a double bond so its butene.
So is it cis-butene and trans-butene? I'm not really sure. please help..thank you in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
We use the terms cis-but-2-ene (best be clear where the double bond is) and trans-but-2-ene in my chem classes, so I think they're fine.
 
Best to use the common nomenclature for this compound. Don't split up the word 'butene' as 'but-2-ene'. Use '2-butene'.