Synthesis of 2-butyne from 2-butene

• Thread starter jfeyen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Synthesis
In summary, the conversation discusses the mechanism for the transformation of CH3CH=CHCH3 to CH3C\equivCCH3. The student's professor only explained half of the mechanism, leaving the student unsure of whether one or two equivalents of Br2 are needed before dehalogenation and triple bond formation. The student is also confused about the purpose of adding and then removing bromines, and the role of a possible catalyst (Zn or +o- t-butoxide). The link provided shows a potential mechanism for the reaction.
jfeyen

Homework Statement

I'm having a hard time deciding exactly what the mechanism would be for
CH3CH=CHCH3→CH3C[itex]\equiv[/itex]CCH3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor only explained half of the mechanism quickly assuming the rest would be obvious, so I know that it will start with a halogenation breaking the double bond before reforming the triple bond. My problem is whether only one equivalent of Br2 is needed or two before you are able to dehalogenate and form the triple bond. I'm also having a hard time figuring out why the bromines have be be added in the first place only to be taken off again. Also it seems that after the bromination there is a second step adding a catalyst (?) of either Zn or something that looks like +o- (t-butoxide?). Does this have any effect on the whether we need 2 or 4 bromines on the molecule before reducing? And what exactly makes the bromines come off to form the triple bond?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks

What is the purpose of synthesizing 2-butyne from 2-butene?

The purpose of this synthesis is to create a compound that can be used as a building block for other molecules in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, plastics, and fuels.

What is the chemical reaction involved in the synthesis of 2-butyne from 2-butene?

The reaction involves the addition of two molecules of hydrogen to 2-butene, followed by the elimination of a molecule of water, resulting in the formation of 2-butyne.

What are the necessary reagents and conditions for this synthesis?

The reagents required for this synthesis include 2-butene, hydrogen gas, and a catalyst such as palladium or platinum. The reaction is typically carried out at high temperatures and pressures.

What are the potential challenges or limitations of this synthesis?

One potential challenge is controlling the selectivity of the reaction to ensure that only 2-butyne is formed and not any unwanted byproducts. Additionally, the high cost of the reagents and the energy-intensive conditions may limit the scalability of this synthesis.

What are the industrial applications of 2-butyne?

2-butyne is used as a starting material for the synthesis of various compounds, including plastics, pharmaceuticals, and fuels. It can also be used as a solvent and a reagent in organic synthesis reactions.