1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the 'closed geodesic' ?

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1
    i have been reading about 'Selberg Trace formula'

i know what a Laplacian is but i do not know what is the author referring to when he talks about 'Closed Geodesic' i know what the Geodesic of a surface is

[tex] l(\gamma)=\int_\gamma \sqrt{ g(\dot\gamma(t),\dot\gamma(t)) }\,dt\ ,[/tex]

but i do not know what means 'closed' or why the geodesic of a torus would have the lenght (?) [tex] l_n =na [/tex] a=radius ??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi mhill! :smile:

"closed" simply means that the geodesic meets itself, so it has a finite length.

If the tangent of the angle to one axis is a rational multiple of the ratio of the axes, then it will meet itself. If irrational, it will go on for ever. :smile:

n is the number of turns "through the hole" before the geodesic joins up. The more turns, the longer the geodesic (though I must admit, I don't see why it's proportional :redface:).

4. Sep 16, 2008 #3
    thanks tiny-tim, then you mean that a geodesic will be closed if for example x(a)=x(b) , so there is a point where the geodesic intersect itself.

and for the 'Selberg Trace' is there a pedestrian proof or a proof that a profane non-mathematician could understand ??

5. Sep 16, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi mhill! :smile:

"a point" is rather an understatement … it intersects itself everywhere, an infinite number of times. :wink:
    Sorry … I've no idea what a Selberg trace is. :redface:

6. Sep 16, 2008 #5
    ' Selberg Trace' is related to the fact that you can express a sum [tex] f(E_n ) [/tex]

with [tex] -\nabla f(x)= E_n f(x) [/tex] using the 'length' of the closed geodesics

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SelbergZetaFunction.html

7. Sep 16, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For a cylinder the closed geodesics are the circles perpendicular to the axis of the cylinder.

For a sphere the closed geodesics are the great circles.

8. Sep 17, 2008 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

torus

Hi HallsofIvy! :smile:

You missed the torus :wink::

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?