Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the 'closed geodesic' ?

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1
    i have been reading about 'Selberg Trace formula'

i know what a Laplacian is but i do not know what is the author referring to when he talks about 'Closed Geodesic' i know what the Geodesic of a surface is

[tex] l(\gamma)=\int_\gamma \sqrt{ g(\dot\gamma(t),\dot\gamma(t)) }\,dt\ ,[/tex]

but i do not know what means 'closed' or why the geodesic of a torus would have the lenght (?) [tex] l_n =na [/tex] a=radius ??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi mhill! :smile:

"closed" simply means that the geodesic meets itself, so it has a finite length.

If the tangent of the angle to one axis is a rational multiple of the ratio of the axes, then it will meet itself. If irrational, it will go on for ever. :smile:

n is the number of turns "through the hole" before the geodesic joins up. The more turns, the longer the geodesic (though I must admit, I don't see why it's proportional :redface:).

4. Sep 16, 2008 #3
    thanks tiny-tim, then you mean that a geodesic will be closed if for example x(a)=x(b) , so there is a point where the geodesic intersect itself.

and for the 'Selberg Trace' is there a pedestrian proof or a proof that a profane non-mathematician could understand ??

5. Sep 16, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi mhill! :smile:

"a point" is rather an understatement … it intersects itself everywhere, an infinite number of times. :wink:
    Sorry … I've no idea what a Selberg trace is. :redface:

6. Sep 16, 2008 #5
    ' Selberg Trace' is related to the fact that you can express a sum [tex] f(E_n ) [/tex]

with [tex] -\nabla f(x)= E_n f(x) [/tex] using the 'length' of the closed geodesics

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SelbergZetaFunction.html

7. Sep 16, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For a cylinder the closed geodesics are the circles perpendicular to the axis of the cylinder.

For a sphere the closed geodesics are the great circles.

8. Sep 17, 2008 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

torus

Hi HallsofIvy! :smile:

You missed the torus :wink::

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?