What are the conditions to excite an atom by collision?

In summary, the conversation discusses how an atom can become excited through collisions with other particles, such as another atom or molecule. The conditions for this excitation to occur, such as pressure and temperature, are also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the possibility of exciting an atom or molecule in a gas system without an external energy source, and the efficiency of this process in HeNe lasers.
Yazdi Hossein
I know that an atom can become excited in one of two ways: by absorbing some energy from a source of electromagnetic radiation or by colliding with some other particle—another atom, for example, but my question is about the second part. So I want to know how and in what conditions (pressure, temperature ...) an atom can collide with another atom or even molecule and it causes excitation. Then after the atom's excitation, an electron boost into a higher orbital.

I exactly mean that I wonder if the atoms or molecules can become excited in low temperature. No matter which atom or molecule, but the question is if it is possible to excite an atom or molecule in a gas system without external source of energy and just when they collide together, or not. If yes what is the conditions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Within a closed system no extra energy is produced if atoms collide.
There could be some exchange of energy with one atom gaining energy and the other losing.
In the extreme case there could be nuclear fusion, but that still doesn't create new energy, it's just a re-arrangement of the energy already existing in the system.

Yazdi Hossein said:
I know that an atom can become excited in one of two ways: by absorbing some energy from a source of electromagnetic radiation or by colliding with some other particle—another atom, for example, but my question is about the second part. So I want to know how and in what conditions (pressure, temperature ...) an atom can collide with another atom or even molecule and it causes excitation. Then after the atom's excitation, an electron boost into a higher orbital.

I exactly mean that I wonder if the atoms or molecules can become excited in low temperature. No matter which atom or molecule, but the question is if it is possible to excite an atom or molecule in a gas system without external source of energy and just when they collide together, or not. If yes what is the conditions.

This is the process involved in HeNe lasers. The Ne atoms are excited via collisions with electrons created by RF discharge and some excited He atoms collide with Ne atoms, non-radiatively transferring the energy because the two sets of energy levels are nearly coincident. The Ne atom then de-excites via a number of paths, and several of the paths involve laser lines:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Hene-2.png

In order for this process to be efficient, the partial pressure of He is about 10 times that of Ne, and the whole lasing medium is kept at low absolute pressure to minimize collisions with the walls of the cavity.

1. What is meant by "exciting" an atom?

Exciting an atom means increasing the energy level of its electrons, causing them to jump to higher energy levels or even be completely removed from the atom.

2. What are the conditions required to excite an atom by collision?

The conditions required to excite an atom by collision are a collision with another atom or particle with enough energy to transfer to the atom, and a specific orientation of the colliding particles.

3. How does the energy of the colliding particle affect the excitation of the atom?

The energy of the colliding particle is directly related to the amount of energy transferred to the atom. The higher the energy of the colliding particle, the more likely it is to cause an excitation of the atom.

4. Can any type of particle cause excitation of an atom by collision?

No, not all particles are capable of exciting an atom by collision. The colliding particle must have enough energy and the right properties to transfer its energy to the atom.

5. What happens to the atom after it has been excited by collision?

After an atom has been excited by collision, it will eventually return to its ground state by releasing the excess energy through the emission of photons or through collisions with other particles.