What Are the Electric Field and Potential in a Non-Conducting Hollow Sphere?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NYK
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ball Conducting
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
NYK
Messages
27
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10155063_1485929725016579_7557468199677155885_n.jpg?oh=d575aa48176de7ecda27201b7ce35a5b&oe=54F7F368&__gda__=1425195231_44abd00cc231109df2fbe8d44cef9869

Homework Equations


∫E⋅da⋅n = 4πkQenc
ΔV(voltage) = -∫Edr

The Attempt at a Solution


To be honest I am having trouble starting the problem and defining the Qenc for the three areas of the sphere.

I do believe that for r < R ⇒ E(r) = 2QK/r2

and for r > R ⇒ E(r) = KQ/r2

I know that the answer is listed for R<r<2R but i can't seem to come up with that answer.

I think I am just having problems with defining the Qenc

for R<r<2R does Qenc = 2Qpt charge - Qinduced = Q sound right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
NYK said:

Homework Statement


https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10155063_1485929725016579_7557468199677155885_n.jpg?oh=d575aa48176de7ecda27201b7ce35a5b&oe=54F7F368&__gda__=1425195231_44abd00cc231109df2fbe8d44cef9869

Homework Equations


∫E⋅da⋅n = 4πkQenc
ΔV(voltage) = -∫Edr

The Attempt at a Solution


To be honest I am having trouble starting the problem and defining the Qenc for the three areas of the sphere.

I do believe that for r < R ⇒ E(r) = 2QK/r2

and for r > R ⇒ E(r) = KQ/r2
That's right.

I know that the answer is listed for R<r<2R but i can't seem to come up with that answer.

I think I'm just having problems with defining the Qenc

for R<r<2R. Does Qenc = 2Qpt charge - Qinduced = Q sound right?
No. The ball is non-conducting, so there won't be any induced charges. You have a charge -Q spread out uniformly within the ball. When R < r < 2R, you have to figure out what fraction of the ball is enclosed inside of the sphere of radius r. It's a geometry problem.
 
vela said:
That's right.No. The ball is non-conducting, so there won't be any induced charges. You have a charge -Q spread out uniformly within the ball. When R < r < 2R, you have to figure out what fraction of the ball is enclosed inside of the sphere of radius r. It's a geometry problem.

I understand that, so if it was a conducting sphere the charge would be Qenc = Qpt charge +λ(π(r2-R2))?
 
No. How did you come up with that expression?