What are the fundamental symbols and concepts in logic?

In summary, the fundamental symbols in logic are \neg, \wedge, and \vee. The material implication is defined in terms of these symbols and is used as a rule of inference in classical logic. It is represented by the symbols => or -> and has a specific truth table. The truth table for -> can be used to derive rules of inference such as modus tollens and modus ponens. However, the use of these symbols in logical arguments is separate from their role in manipulating truth values. The concept of implication in logic was developed through the study of formal systems and the equivalence between rules of inference and tautologies.
ice109
what are the fundamental symbols in logic? maybe this is a vague question but that's cause i don't know anything about logic.

are they [tex]\neg[/tex] [tex]\wedge[/tex] [tex]\vee[/tex]?

do we define the material implication in terms of these symbols?

basically I'm having trouble understanding the paradoxical nature of the material implication and so I'm wondering what it's supposed to accomplish? by this i mean how was it decided for which values it is true. please illustrative examples because they don't suffice to explain to me why the truth table for -> is what it is.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
(note: this post is trying to be at an intuitive, motivational level, and not a technical level)

(note: In this post, => will be the syntactic symbol, and -> will denote the binary function of truth values)

One important rule of inference in classical logic is:

P
P => Q
Q

We also have a few things that are not rules of inference:

P => Q
Q

Q
P => Q
P

If we use a two-valued system of truth values, can you derive what I just said from the truth table for ->? What if the truth table was different?

Last edited:
i appreciate your tailoring the explanation. i don't quite understand what you mean by derive from the truth table?

maybe you mean find the corresponding line in the truth table?

I'll demonstrate for modus tollens:

~Q
P => Q
~P

Now, let v be a binary truth valuation -- a function that assigns binary truth values to propositions, and has the right relationship with the logical connectives. There are only four ways it can assign truth values to the propositions Q, P, and P => Q:

v(P) = T, v(Q) = T, v(P => Q) = T
v(P) = T, v(Q) = F, v(P => Q) = F
v(P) = F, v(Q) = T, v(P => Q) = T
v(P) = F, v(Q) = F, v(P => Q) = T

(Because v(P => Q) must be the same as v(P) -> v(Q))

Now, suppose ~Q and P => Q are valid statements with respect to v; that is, v(~Q) = T and v(P => Q) = T. Consulting the four possibilities, we see only one remains:

v(P) = F, v(Q) = F, v(P => Q) = T

and so we have the following calculation for truth values:
If we have
1. v(~Q) = T
2. v(P => Q) = T
Then we also have
3. v(~P) = T​

So we see that from the truth table for ->, we have derived a rule for truth values analogous to modus tollens.

Last edited:
ok i understand

for modus ponens ( i think that's what it is )

v(P)=T, v(P=>Q)=T our only option from our truth table for v(Q)=T

and i could do the others. my question is => defined by modus ponens or somehow else?

Just to make sure it's clear, I think your question is purely one of exposition, and it's going to depend upon what you mean by "defined by".

Syntax essentially has only three things:
(1) An alphabet of symbols
(2) A grammar that tells you when an arrangement of symbols forms a predicate
(3) A specification of which rules of inference are admissible

(A rule of inference is a means to take a collection of predicates and compute a new predicate. e.g. modus ponens is the rule that produces Q given {P, P => Q})

So, syntactically, => is just a symbol of the alphabet, and there really isn't anything more to it.

my confusion is that this symbol connotes something in argument. i want to be able to apply what i know about the word implication in interpreting this symbol. am i seriously supposed to just memorize the truth table?

Last edited:
(I'm continuing to use => and -> as in post #2)

The notion of "deductive argument" is separate from the notion of "truth".

=> is just a symbol of the alphabet, and we have rules of inference that tell us how to infer new predicates from old ones. I suppose you could say that the totality of such rules (e.g. modus ponens, modus tollens, etc) 'defines' the role of => in logical inference.

-> is just an operation for manipulating truth values. It doesn't directly have any relation to the notion of argument. However...

It is a fact of classical logic that the following three things are equivalent:

(1) This is a rule of inference of classical logic:
P1, P2, ..., Pn

(2) This is a tautology in classical logic:
[itex](P_1 \wedge P_2 \wedge \cdots \wedge P_n) \implies Q[/itex]

(3) For every Boolean truth valuation v:
[itex]\left( v(P_1 \wedge P_2 \wedge \cdots \wedge P_n) \rightarrow v(Q) \right) = \top[/itex]

(It takes quite a lot of effort to demonstrate the equivalence, however)

Is... this the type of thing you are asking about?

who came up/how was the idea come up with =>

What are the fundamental symbols in logic?

The fundamental symbols in logic include logical operators such as AND, OR, and NOT, as well as quantifiers such as FOR ALL (∀) and THERE EXISTS (∃). These symbols are used to represent logical relationships between statements or propositions.

What are the fundamental concepts in logic?

The fundamental concepts in logic include truth, validity, and soundness. Truth refers to the correspondence between a statement and reality, while validity refers to the logical structure of an argument. Soundness is a combination of both truth and validity, where an argument is both logically valid and has true premises.

How are logical symbols and concepts used in everyday life?

Logical symbols and concepts are used in everyday life to analyze and evaluate arguments, make decisions based on evidence and reasoning, and to communicate complex ideas in a precise and clear manner. They are also essential in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and philosophy.

Are there different systems of logic?

Yes, there are different systems of logic such as classical logic, modal logic, and fuzzy logic. These systems differ in their underlying principles, rules, and symbols, and are used to address different types of problems or to model different types of reasoning.

What is the importance of understanding logic?

Understanding logic is crucial for critical thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making. It allows us to evaluate arguments and distinguish between good and bad reasoning. Additionally, logic serves as the foundation for many fields of study, including mathematics, philosophy, and computer science.