1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the magnitudes of the two force components?

1. Feb 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There is a resultant force going towards the positive x axis at 500 lbf. Force 1 is going 45 degrees above the positive x axis. Force 2 is going 30 degrees below the positive x axis. What are magnitudes of Force 1 and Force 2?

3. The attempt at a solution

I wrote up equations for total Force X and total Force Y.

Force X: F1*sin45 + F2*cos30 = 500

Force Y: F1*sin45 - F2*sin30 = 0

So from Force X, I know that F1 = (500 - F2*cos30)/sin45.

I applied that to Force Y so [(500 - F2 *cos30)/sin45] * sin45 = F2 sin30

I got totally confused at this point and I have no idea what to do. Am I even setting this up right?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That equation looks OK...you need to solve it for F2, and once F2 is known, solve for F1. You did the physics part...now it's just algebra. Rather than use the substitution method to solve for 2 equations with 2 unknowns, it might be easier to use the 'elimination of variables' method to solve for F2 by subtracting the 2nd equation from the first, which eliminates the F1 term, and allows you to solve for F2 fairly simply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook