What Are the Mean Lifetime and Branching Ratios for an F- Particle?

  • Thread starter Thread starter genloz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mean
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
genloz
Messages
72
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


1. In a theory a charged particle called F- (charge=-1) exists. This particle has three decay modes that will be observed at the LHC. The mean time between F- particle creation and each kind of decay is found to be:
Mode Mean lifetime
Mode 1 5 microsec
Mode 2 50 millisecond
Mode 3 20 microsec
What is the mean lifetime of the F particle, and what are the branching ratios for each of the three modes?

Homework Equations


None given, but my thoughts were that these were relevant:
[tex]\Gamma_{overall} = \frac{1}{\tau}[/tex]
[tex]Branching Ratio= \frac{\Gamma_{partial}}{\Gamma_{overall}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


Mean Lifetime:
[tex]\tau = ((5*10^{-6})+(50*10^{-3})+(20*10^{-6}))/3[/tex]
[tex]\tau = 1.66*10^{-2}[/tex]

[tex]\Gamma_{overall} = \frac{1}{\tau}[/tex]
[tex]\Gamma_{overall} = 60.24[/tex]

Branching Ratio for Mode 1:
[tex]\Gamma_{partial} = \frac{1}{\tau}[/tex]
[tex]\Gamma_{partial} = \frac{1}{(5*10^{-6})}[/tex]
[tex]\Gamma_{partial} = 200000[/tex]
[tex]Branching Ratio= \frac{\Gamma_{partial}}{\Gamma_{overall}}[/tex]
[tex]Branching Ratio= \frac{200000}{60.24} = 3320[/tex]

But then that didn't look much like a ratio so I started to wonder if I'd made a mistake or units were incorrect or something?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I had a bit of a think and came to this conclusion...
[tex]\Gamma_{overall}=\frac{1}{\tau_{1}}+\frac{1}{\tau_{2}}+\frac{1}{\tau_{3}}[/tex]

Therefore,

Mode 1
[tex]\Gamma_{partial1}=\frac{1}{5*10^{-6}}[/tex]
[tex]\Gamma_{partial1}=200000[/tex]

Mode 2
[tex]\Gamma_{partial2}=\frac{1}{50*10^{-3}}[/tex]
[tex]\Gamma_{partial2}=20[/tex]

Mode 3
[tex]\Gamma_{partial3}=\frac{1}{20*10^{-6}}[/tex]
[tex]\Gamma_{partial3}=50000[/tex]


So,
[tex]\Gamma_{overall}=250020[/tex]

So the branching ratios are:
Mode 1
[tex]\frac{\Gamma_{partial1}}{\Gamma_{overall}}=\frac{200000}{250020}[/tex]
[tex]=0.7999[/tex]

Mode 2
[tex]\frac{\Gamma_{partial2}}{\Gamma_{overall}}=\frac{20}{250020}[/tex]
[tex]=7.999*10^{-5}[/tex]

Mode 3
[tex]\frac{\Gamma_{partial3}}{\Gamma_{overall}}=\frac{50000}{250020}[/tex]
[tex]=0.19998[/tex]

Does that sound about right?
 
I guess the width should be hbar/meanlife but I don't think that matters in this instance...