What are the mechanics of finding delta in a limit problem?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Saladsamurai
Messages
3,009
Reaction score
7
Okay Then! :smile: I am going to start with a simple problem here:

Given some function, a limit L, an xo, and some [itex]\epsilon[/itex]:

a) Find an open interval on which the inequality [itex]|f(x)-L|<\epsilon[/itex] holds. Then b) give a value for [itex]\delta>0[/itex] such that
for all x satisfying 0 < |x - x0| < [itex]\delta\Rightarrow |f(x)-L|<\epsilon[/itex].

f(x)=x+1
L = 5
xo=4
[itex]\epsilon[/itex]=0.01

a) To find an interval on which [itex]|f(x)-L|<\epsilon[/itex] holds, I simply solve the inequality:

[tex]|f(x)-L|<\epsilon[/tex]

[tex]-\epsilon<f(x)-L<\epsilon[/tex]

[tex]-\epsilon<x+1-5<\epsilon[/tex]

[tex]-\epsilon<x-4<\epsilon[/tex]

[tex]4-\epsilon<x<4+\epsilon[/tex]

[tex]3.99<x<4.01[/tex]

So there is my open interval, (3.99, 4.01), on which [itex]|f(x)-L|<\epsilon[/itex] holds.

Now I know that for part (b), delta must be 0.01.

But what how do we actually find [itex]\delta[/itex]? What are the mechanics of finding it.

For part (a) I solved an inequality; what did I do for part (b) to find delta?

Sorry if this is a little vague, I am not sure exactly how to word my question.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A better question to ask is what is delta? Delta is how sufficiently close x must be to x_0 to guarantee that |f(x) -L| < epsilon will be satisfied. Thus, we want [itex]|x-x_0| < \delta[/itex] or [itex]x_0 - \delta < x < x_0 + \delta.[/itex] In this case, [itex]x_0 = 4[/itex] so we want a delta such that [itex]4 -\delta < x < 4 + \delta[/itex].

Now compare this last set of inequalities to what you concluded in part a). How do we choose delta to ensure that |f(x) - L| is indeed less than epsilon?
 
snipez90 said:
A better question to ask is what is delta? Delta is how sufficiently close x must be to x_0 to guarantee that |f(x) -L| < epsilon will be satisfied. Thus, we want [itex]|x-x_0| < \delta[/itex] or [itex]x_0 - \delta < x < x_0 + \delta.[/itex] In this case, [itex]x_0 = 4[/itex] so we want a delta such that [itex]4 -\delta < x < 4 + \delta[/itex].

Now compare this last set of inequalities to what you concluded in part a). How do we choose delta to ensure that |f(x) - L| is indeed less than epsilon?

So since we know that we need [itex]|x-x_0| < \delta[/itex] (1), we also know xo=4 (2), and we have an inequality that says 3.99 < x < 4.01 (3), we can simply 'combine' (1), (2), and (3) to yield ...err something. I need a moment to think about it. But, I think I see it now.
 
I am still a little lost here :redface: sorry. What is the next step?

I know that 3.99<x<4.01. I also know that |x-xo|<[itex]\delta[/itex]. And xo=4.

How do I combine the 3 into something meaningful to find [itex]\delta[/itex] ?

Thanks
 
Nevermind. I was forgetting to subtract 4 from ALL sides of the inequality.

Using the above we have:

3.99-4 < x-4 < 4.01-4

-0.01<x-4< 0.01
or
|x-4|<0.01 = delta