What are the minimum force values needed to hold an object without it falling?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter joedwagner
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Forces
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
joedwagner
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
This is a problem I came up without of curiosity but can't solve.. The image shows a situation similar to a thumb an index finger grasping a marble. Probably obvious to figure out, but I can't, so I'll ask. What are the minimum force values F1 and F2 necessary to keep the marble from falling if mass is known?
 
Attachments
  • phys.jpg
    phys.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 554
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by drawing a correct free body diagram.:wink:
edit: Actually you still need a friction coefficient in order to solve it.
 
Found a link saying the coefficient of friction is .05

So if the mass is M, the force of gravity on it would be mg, the force of friction must equal this so it would require a force of mg/.05 so for a marble weight .003kg, it would be .588N
 
Force of friction is [itex]\mu N[/itex] where [itex]N[/itex] is the normal force. Since we also know that this needs to be [itex]\geq Mg[/itex] you can solve :)
As a side note I've included two frictional forces since there's no reason to assume one side is preferable to another and I know from experience there is no net torque, however if friction is independent of surface area would the force be distributed between the two contact points? In other words would each frictional force be half what I've written? It seems like it should be but how could each side "know" that the other side had some frictional force? Then again I guess it might have to since the same argument must be wrong when applied to any single atom "knowing" about the friction on any other atom with a block sliding down an incline.
I'll change the value back but leave this here as kind of an interest thing I guess. :)