What are the phase factors for the atoms in this quantum state?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
phil ess
Messages
67
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Assume there is a source of some pre-selected atoms. When measuring atoms of that source in a Stern-Gerlach, you find the following probabilities for a spin-up result:

x-direction 5/6
y-direction 5/6
z-direction 1/3

Which state would you ascribe to the source?

Homework Equations



?

The Attempt at a Solution



Let the atoms be:

[tex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}<br /> \alpha \\<br /> \beta \end{array} \right)\][/tex]

Decomposing in the z-basis we get that the probability amplitudes for up and down are [tex]|\alpha|^2[/tex] and [tex]|\beta|^2[/tex], respectively.

From this we find that [tex]\alpha = 1/\sqrt{3}[/tex] and [tex]\beta = \sqrt{2/3}[/tex]

Ok this is where I am confused, my textbook says we need to do a measurement in all 3 directions, but I got these values with just the z result?

If someone could explain this to me itd be a big help, I am stuck :(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
phil ess said:

Homework Statement



Assume there is a source of some pre-selected atoms. When measuring atoms of that source in a Stern-Gerlach, you find the following probabilities for a spin-up result:

x-direction 5/6
y-direction 5/6
z-direction 1/3

Which state would you ascribe to the source?

Homework Equations



?

The Attempt at a Solution



Let the atoms be:

[tex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}<br /> \alpha \\<br /> \beta \end{array} \right)\][/tex]

Decomposing in the z-basis we get that the probability amplitudes for up and down are [tex]|\alpha|^2[/tex] and [tex]|\beta|^2[/tex], respectively.

From this we find that [tex]\alpha = 1/\sqrt{3}[/tex] and [tex]\beta = \sqrt{2/3}[/tex]

Ok this is where I am confused, my textbook says we need to do a measurement in all 3 directions, but I got these values with just the z result?

If someone could explain this to me itd be a big help, I am stuck :(
Be careful, you have not actually found α and β. You have found |α| and |β|. There is a complex phase factor still to be accounted for.
 
Hmmm, ok well what I have here is, if |a|2 + |b|2 = 1, then |a|2 - |b|2 is a number between 1 and -1, so we write:

|a|2 - |b|2 = cos 2x, where x is between 0 and pi/2

then

|a|2 = 1/2 (|a|2 + |b|2) + 1/2 (|a|2 - |b|2)
|a|2 = 1/2 + 1/2 (cos 2x) = cos2x

and similarly

|b|2 = sin2x

so then

[tex]\alpha = e^i^\varphi cos x[/tex]
[tex]\beta = e^i^\phi sinx[/tex]

and then these are the phase factors you are talking about? I know they have magnitude 1, but I am not sure I know how to proceed from here :S