What are the pros and cons of the new Google search layout?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jack21222
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Google Search
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
18 replies · 5K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Jack21222 said:
It's far too busy and distracting for me. The reason I've been using Google all these years was the simplicity of their search results. How about you guys?

Definitely agree with you here... I don't like this new layout at all... It's like they are trying to steal the layout from Bing or whatever.
 
Probably becoming irrelevant most browsers search google form the address bar - I just checked and google.com wasn't even in my 30day cache
 
mgb_phys said:
Probably becoming irrelevant most browsers search google form the address bar - I just checked and google.com wasn't even in my 30day cache

It still takes you to the google results page. You don't need to go to google.com in order to reach the results page.
 
Just another way to expand their marketing.

I don't like it.
 
I should have probably added a poll. Oh well.
 
Ask Evo, I'm sure she can set it up in this post for you.
 
I'm not sure what's different about it. Is the change to the iGoogle layout? I couldn't stand iGoogle to begin with.
 
Jack21222 said:
I should have probably added a poll. Oh well.
Tell me what poll options you want.
 
Its really.. really.. REALLY effing annoying. I am contemplating using another search engine from now on
 
cronxeh said:
Its really.. really.. REALLY effing annoying. I am contemplating using another search engine from now on

I have google open right now. I don't see the difference. What is it? Only iGoogle?
 
TheStatutoryApe said:
I have google open right now. I don't see the difference. What is it? Only iGoogle?

Search for something. The search results page has a bar on left side with various useless crap.


BUT fear not, fellow PFers! As was posted on google forums, there is an easy solution to this


http://www.google.com/m


Use Google Mobile!
 
Ok, oddly enough, google search has reverted back to its normal layout for me. Maybe they got a lot of negative feedback?

I'll hold off on suggesting a poll until they make up their mind on what to do
 
Jack21222 said:
Ok, oddly enough, google search has reverted back to its normal layout for me. Maybe they got a lot of negative feedback?

I'll hold off on suggesting a poll until they make up their mind on what to do

Clear your cache and cookies.
 
The earlier user interface was too good, I guess they decided to screw it.
 
cronxeh said:
Search for something. The search results page has a bar on left side with various useless crap.

I did. And didn't see it. Just cleared my cache and everything. Still nothing out of the ordinary. There seems to be an empty space on the left. I am unsure if that space was always there.
 
Oddly enough my mac does not see the updated version, I have Firefox browser here. Maybe it only affects Internet Explorer (to make them see no difference between google and bing)

I've attached what the new layout looks like. I must warn you, the images may disturb you.
 
Last edited:
cronxeh said:
Oddly enough my mac does not see the updated version, I have Firefox browser here. Maybe it only affects Internet Explorer (to make them see no difference between google and bing)

I've attached what the new layout looks like. I must warn you, the images may disturb you.

What are you doing using IE? I'm using Firefox and Opera. Doesn't show up on either of them for me.

edit: never mind, I just checked again and it does now.
 
A couple of classics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXnJraKM3k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwqPYeTSYng