1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the requirements for Rocket Science?

1. Mar 26, 2008 #1
    Hey.. I am not too sure where this thread would go. Please remove it if needed.

What are the requirements needed to major in Rocket Science? What Universities offer that major? What are the foundations that are tough to the students meaning what they learn? Is it more of a challenge then pure Math or Physics or any of the Engineering that are out that? Anyway thanks for everyone that replies.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Such a thread/question belongs in Academic & Career Guidance.

Basically one is asking about Aerospace Engineering of which 'rocket science' is but one specialty. Many institutions offer aerospace engineering, and one should check out AIAA - www.aiaa.org - if one is interested.
  4. Mar 26, 2008 #3

OK. I was just looking into. I didn't know it was Aerospace Engineering. I have checked out that link and even without clicking on it. I knew it wasn't a University. Universities, colleges etc .edu. Would psu.edu be a good college? I am just curious.
  5. Mar 26, 2008 #4
    Rocket science also falls under mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and chemical engineering.
  6. Mar 26, 2008 #5
    Thank you so much Laura. I did not know that.
  7. Mar 26, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep. "Rocket science" is basically a popular cliche, not an actual subject you'll find in a school's handbook. The design and construction of actual rockets are done by enormous numbers of people with a wide variety of different specialized skills.

- Warren
  8. Mar 26, 2008 #7
    I can't answer this for sure, but I think you'd find aerospace engineering very different than your mental perception of rocket science. It's more about the individual components that would come together to build a rocket: control systems, flight dynamics, propulsion, solid mechanics
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  9. Mar 27, 2008 #8
    One part rocket, one part science.
  10. Mar 27, 2008 #9
    You need a set of diverse people to be working on such important topics in rocket science/engineering. It is too much for one person to know it all... you need tons of engineers and scientists.
  11. Mar 27, 2008 #10
    why don' you tell us your perception of "Rocket Science" then we can tell you what best to study or rather which fields are mostly involved and some schools with those dept's.
  12. Mar 27, 2008 #11
    I was talking to a friend some while back, and his perception of rocket science was ballistics of missles. So indeed, perhaps you should tell us your perception of what rocket science is.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?