What are the resonant wavelengths?

In summary: So I would think that as long as the length is 5 or less, then the frequency would stay at 60 mega hertz.In summary, Homework Equations discusses sound waves in a pipe and how the resonant wavelengths and frequency are determined by the length of the pipe.
physics(L)10

Homework Statement

Consider pipe of length L. The pipe is closed at one end and open at the other allowing a standing wave where a node exists at the closed end and a max exists at the open end.
a) what are the resonant wavelengths?
b) If L=5, what is the lowest frequency?

Homework Equations

f= c/L where c=speed of light, L=pipe length, f=frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I got it right, I'm just looking for some confirmation and any other insight you may have for me.

a) L since it says the pipe length is L, it can't go any longer then that.

b) f=C/ L = 3*10^8/5= 0.6*10^8 Hz=60 Mega Hz

Physics news on Phys.org
physics(L)10 said:

Homework Statement

Consider pipe of length L. The pipe is closed at one end and open at the other allowing a standing wave where a node exists at the closed end and a max exists at the open end.
a) what are the resonant wavelengths?
b) If L=5, what is the lowest frequency?

Homework Equations

f= c/L where c=speed of light, L=pipe length, f=frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I got it right, I'm just looking for some confirmation and any other insight you may have for me.

a) L since it says the pipe length is L, it can't go any longer then that.

b) f=C/ L = 3*10^8/5= 0.6*10^8 Hz=60 Mega Hz

Are you guys studying sound waves in pipes? If so, you don't need c, you need the speed of sound in air... Also did you discuss pipe lengths and how the nodes and antinodes produced by inteference cause resonance in the pipes if they are the proper length? You perhaps discussed tuning forks vibrating air in a pipe of some length? Anything familiar in what I have written?

Last edited:
pgardn said:
Are you guys studying sound waves in pipes? If so you don't need c, you need the speed of sound in air... Also did you discuss pipe lengths and how the nodes and antinodes produced by inteference cause resonance in the pipes if they are the proper length? You perhaps discussed tuning forks vibrating air in a pipe of some length? Anything familiar in what I have written?

We are just touching on basics of different waves, sound included. Yes we did touch a little on the nodes. No, we did not discuss tuning forks in a pipe.

physics(L)10 said:
We are just touching on basics of different waves, sound included. Yes we did touch a little on the nodes. No, we did not discuss tuning forks in a pipe.

Did you discuss the difference between closed at one end and open and both end pipes and sound? Because if you did not, its not easy to make sense of what you need to put in for L, the length of the pipe.

This might help. Read resonance of a air in a tube... I doubt you guys are using the end correction part... There are some nice diagrams that display the standing waves produced along with the nodes and antinodes in both types of tubes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_resonance

Im off for fishing...

I don't believe we did, but if you say that it wouldn't make sense if we didn't, then why would we be assigned this question? And it says that L=5 in part b.

1. What are resonant wavelengths?

Resonant wavelengths are specific wavelengths of light that cause constructive interference in a medium. This means that when these wavelengths of light pass through a medium, they reinforce each other and create a stronger, more intense wave.

2. How are resonant wavelengths determined?

Resonant wavelengths are determined by the properties of the medium through which the light is passing. These properties include the refractive index, dimensions, and composition of the medium, as well as the angle at which the light is incident.

3. What is the importance of resonant wavelengths?

Resonant wavelengths are important in various fields of science and technology, including optics, astronomy, and telecommunications. They allow us to manipulate and control light for various applications, such as creating filters, lasers, and optical sensors.

4. How do resonant wavelengths affect the color of an object?

The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that it reflects. When an object's resonant wavelengths are in the visible spectrum, they can enhance or change the color of the object by reinforcing certain wavelengths and cancelling out others.

5. Can resonant wavelengths be observed in everyday life?

Yes, resonant wavelengths can be observed in everyday life, such as in the colors of certain objects or the rainbow-like patterns seen on the surface of a CD or DVD. They also play a role in the colors of insect wings, oil slicks, and iridescent surfaces.