1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the two equations for Centripetal Force

1. Nov 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dataI have to rearange both equations to find mass, radius, and velocity (each of them seperately).

2. Relevant equations I know that Centripetal Force= mass x (velocty^2/radius). In this case velocity is also equal to 2∏r/T (where T is the period), so I subsituted that in for v for the first equation and used it as the second. The experiment we did involved the period value, so I assumed that's what he wanted.

3. The attempt at a solution I was able to isolate the mass the just fine, it's when I try to find radius and velocity that complicate it. When I solve it for the second for radius however, I have r on both sides of the equation. For velocity, I just get the quantity 2∏r/T on one side with the rest on the other. It just looks messy to me. I was thinking for the radius issue, I could get rid of the r on the other side of the equation by making it 1/2(diameter)? I'm lost here. I'd appreciate some help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Can you post those equations? It is hard to spot specific problems based on that description.

You want get equations of the type ##v=...## and ##r=...## from ##F=m\frac{v^2}{r}##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook