What Are the Two Numbers in the Sum and Product Puzzle?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mite
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Product Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
mite
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


There are two unknown numbers each between 2 & 99 person 'P' is told the product and person 'S' is told the sum when asked about the two numbers their conversation is as follows
P-I don't know them
S-I knew that already
P-Then I know the two numbers
P-Then I know them too
Using these clues we have to find the two numbers



Homework Equations


I don't know


The Attempt at a Solution


I have no idea. Can anyone please give me some clue how to solve this.I don't want solution only some clue to solve.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
okay i got given this question a while back i will start you off, youve got think about all the basic logic parts to adding/multiplying, so i will start you off and then well see weather you can get any further

From p "I do not know the numbers", we can deduce that the product is not the product of two primes. If it were, then Product would have been able to factorize the product into two primes, and would then know the two numbers.

From s "I knew you didn't knew the numbers" we can deduce that the sum must be an odd number, because every even number (at least for small numbers) can be written as the sum of two primes (Goldbach's Conjecture). The only way for S to know that p doesn't know the numbers, is for the sum to be an odd number.