Is a^2 Always Positive for a Real Number a?

• Thread starter r0bHadz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Positive
In summary, if a is a real number, then a^2 is positive. This is shown through two propositions: (1) if a and b are positive, so are the product ab and the sum a+b, and (2) if a is a real number, then either a is positive, a = 0, or -a is positive, and these possibilities are mutually exclusive. The book also defines a number as positive if it is either greater than or equal to 0. Therefore, a real number can be broken down into positive, negative, and 0. In the case of a^2, if a is a positive real number, a^2 is positive by proposition 1. The case where a is
r0bHadz

Homework Statement

If a is a real number, then a^2 is positive

Homework Equations

The book gives me two propositions:

1- if a,b are positive, so are the product ab and the sum a+b
2- if a is a real number, then either a is positive, a = 0, or -a is positive, and these possibilities are mutually exclusive

The Attempt at a Solution

According to proposition 2 and in my text which reads "we have the positive numbers, represented geometrically on the straight line by those numbers unequal to 0 and lying to the right of 0. if a is a positive number, we write a>0

So a real number can be broken down into positive, negative, and 0.

If a is a positive real number, a^2 is positive by proposition 1, but you have to prove this for all three cases and I don't see how you can possibly prove this for zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
If your book defines a number ##p## to be positive if ##p > 0##, your book is false: ##0^2 = 0## isn't positive.

On the other hand, if it defines a number ##p## to be positive if ##p \geq 0##, it is correct.

It's wrong for zero, so you can't prove it. The correct word is nonnegative.

Math_QED said:
If your book defines a number ##p## to be positive if ##p > 0##, your book is false: ##0^2 = 0## isn't positive.

On the other hand, if it defines a number ##p## to be positive if ##p \geq 0##, it is correct.

Why would Lang do this? When I look up the answer to the question, he only gives an answer for the case of a positive real number x,x>0

I don't know why he would make the question "if a is a real number" then just disregard the other 2 cases that would constitute real numbers

r0bHadz said:
Why would Lang do this? When I look up the answer to the question, he only gives an answer for the case of a positive real number x,x>0

I don't know why he would make the question "if a is a real number" then just disregard the other 2 cases that would constitute real numbers

Maybe because the case ##a = 0## is trivial (depending on the definition it is either trivial or false) and the case ##a < 0## follows from the case ##a > 0##. Indeed, if ##a < 0##, then ##-a > 0## and

$$a^2 = (-a)(-a) > 0$$

Math_QED said:
Maybe because the case ##a = 0## is trivial (depending on the definition it is either trivial or false) and the case ##a < 0## follows from the case ##a > 0##. Indeed, if ##a < 0##, then ##-a > 0## and

$$a^2 = (-a)(-a) > 0$$

Do you suggest reading a different book for basic math? I feel like he should be making things such as a>0 and a=0 being positive clear, but he hasn't. Right now I think giving him another 2 chances would be fair since this is the only major issue I've encountered so far, but ynn

r0bHadz said:
Do you suggest reading a different book for basic math? I feel like he should be making things such as a>0 and a=0 being positive clear, but he hasn't

I didn't read the book you are mentioning, so I am not in a position to say that you should leave the book. I can recommend other books, but you should tell me first:

(1) What is your goal by reading those books?
(2) What is your background?

Math_QED said:
I didn't read the book you are mentioning, so I am not in a position to say that you should leave the book. I can recommend other books, but you should tell me first:

(1) What is your goal by reading those books?
(2) What is your background?

1- I want to be able to complete Spivak's calculus and then move on to study physics relating to electricity and magneticism
2- I am a CS student

r0bHadz said:
Do you suggest reading a different book for basic math?
If you are talking about Serge Lang, then the answer is no. It is a minor inaccuracy, not really worth to condemn the entire book for.

Likes r0bHadz
r0bHadz said:
1- I want to be able to complete Spivak's calculus and then move on to study physics relating to electricity and magneticism
2- I am a CS student

Is Spivak currently too hard? What makes you read Lang's book before Spivak's?

Math_QED said:
Is Spivak currently too hard? What makes you read Lang's book before Spivak's?

The book I am reading has examples that require proof's, and it has examples requiring calculations. I've taken up to calculus 3 but I have never had to prove anything besides some basic delta epsilon proofs.

I was told Spivak's book is proof heavy so I decided to start off with basic math and move up.

Prove: if a is negative, then a^(-1) is negative

proof:

If a is negative, -a is positive, and (-a)(a^-1) = (-1)(a)(a^-1) = (-1)(1) = -1

since -a was positive, a^-1 must be negativeIs this proof valid?

r0bHadz said:
Prove: if a is negative, then a^(-1) is negative

proof:

If a is negative, -a is positive, and (-a)(a^-1) = (-1)(a)(a^-1) = (-1)(1) = -1

since -a was positive, a^-1 must be negativeIs this proof valid?
That depends on what you may use. If you have: "Only the multiplication by a negative number can turn a positive into a negative one." plus "-1 is negative." then yes, Otherwise you will have to prove these two statements first, or find another proof.

You could proceed indirect: Assume ##a^{-^1} \geq 0##. Zero isn't possible, so only ##a^{-1}>0## is left to consider. Since ##a<0##, we have ##-a>0## by the second rule and ##(-a) \cdot a^{-1} = -1 > 0## by the first rule. This way you only have to prove ##-1 < 0## to obtain a contradiction.

Likes r0bHadz
r0bHadz said:
The book I am reading has examples that require proof's, and it has examples requiring calculations. I've taken up to calculus 3 but I have never had to prove anything besides some basic delta epsilon proofs.

I was told Spivak's book is proof heavy so I decided to start off with basic math and move up.

Spivak's book is proof heavy, yes. However, the book can be read as a first and gentle introduction to higher mathematics. Try to read some of it. It might be easier than you think (or harder).

Good catch. You are right, that the statement you were asked to prove is incorrect for a=0. You should not switch books because of that error in the book. If there is a page of known errors, that one might be included. Proofreading is a hard, thankless, endless job.

Likes r0bHadz and fresh_42
r0bHadz said:
Do you suggest reading a different book for basic math? I feel like he should be making things such as a>0 and a=0 being positive clear, but he hasn't. Right now I think giving him another 2 chances would be fair since this is the only major issue I've encountered so far, but ynn
It's quite clear from proposition 2 that: if a = 0, then a is neither positive nor negative.
r0bHadz said:

Homework Equations

The book gives me two propositions:

1- if a,b are positive, so are the product ab and the sum a+b
2- if a is a real number, then either a is positive, a = 0, or -a is positive, and these possibilities are mutually exclusive

Likes FactChecker
SammyS said:
It's quite clear from proposition 2 that: if a = 0, then a is neither positive nor negative.
Which is why I asked should I consider reading another book, given the fact that he didn't define 0 to be positive then asked me to prove something that would only be possible to prove if 0 was defined as positive

r0bHadz said:
Which is why I asked should I consider reading another book, given the fact that he didn't define 0 to be positive then asked me to prove something that would only be possible to prove if 0 was defined as positive
It will be hard to find a book without those little inaccuracies, which range more in the region of typos than actual mistakes.

fresh_42 said:
It will be hard to find a book without those little inaccuracies, which range more in the region of typos than actual mistakes.

Yeah I don't doubt that. I've decided to continue with the book and hope to be done within a week. I will report back to you guys if I have any questions or concerns, since school is out already..

1. Why is A^2 always positive?

A^2 is always positive because when a number is squared, it is multiplied by itself. This means that the result will always be positive, regardless of the value of A.

2. Is there any exception to A^2 always being positive?

No, there are no exceptions to A^2 always being positive. This is a fundamental mathematical concept that applies to all numbers, whether they are positive, negative, or zero.

3. What happens if A is a negative number?

If A is a negative number, its square will still be positive. This is because when a negative number is multiplied by itself, the result is a positive number. For example, (-2)^2 = 4.

4. How is A^2 related to the concept of squaring?

The concept of squaring a number means to multiply it by itself. For example, 2 squared (2^2) is equal to 2 multiplied by 2, which is 4. This relationship is why A^2 will always be positive.

5. Can A^2 ever be equal to zero?

Yes, A^2 can be equal to zero if A is also equal to zero. This is because any number multiplied by zero will result in zero. However, this is the only case where A^2 will not be a positive number.