What are the Unknown EMF and Currents in this Kirchhoff's Circuit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bob Loblaw
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circuit Laws
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Bob Loblaw
Messages
67
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1685/p1854altco4.gif

Find the unknown emf and the unknown currents in the circuit below, in which R = 3.48 . Take the positive direction for current flow in each branch to be upwards.
EMF = V
left branch= A
right branch= A


Homework Equations



Kirchhoff's circuit laws

The Attempt at a Solution



I added current lines to the diagram. Note that a coordinate system is imposed and all positive charges point up ( I guess this makes grading easier). I sketched the lines of current as best I could.

Here are my equations:

Left loop:

1.00v-3.48I1-E+(.05*2)

Outside loop:

1.00v-3.48I1-1.00I3+1.20V+4.00I3=0 (edit: caught a mistake here, last term should have been positive)

Apply junction rule to top center junction:
I1+.05=I3

Combine terms:
1.00v-3.48I1-E+.1=0
2.20v-3.48I1+3.00I3=0

Substituting I1+.05 for I3:

2.20v-3.48I1+3.00I1+.15=0

Combining like terms:

2.35-.48I1=0

I1(the left loop)=4.90A which is wrong.

Any ideas where I messed up?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
coolram80295 said:
Where is the circuit diagram?

Blast from the past! I have since moved past physics and on to medicine so things worked out well enough I suppose.