What are the values of a and b in this vector equation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter renncat2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Constants Vectors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
renncat2
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Let a[itex]\vec{A}[/itex]+ b[itex]\vec{B}[/itex] + [itex]\vec{C}[/itex] = 0, where [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] = (75, -60), [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] = (-16, 60), and [itex]\vec{C}[/itex] = (84,16). I need to find the value of a and b. I really have no idea where to start with this problem any help would be great!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
renncat2 said:
Let a[itex]\vec{A}[/itex]+ b[itex]\vec{B}[/itex] + [itex]\vec{C}[/itex] = 0, where [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] = (75, -60), [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] = (-16, 60), and [itex]\vec{C}[/itex] = (84,16). I need to find the value of a and b. I really have no idea where to start with this problem any help would be great!
Welcome to Physics Forums.

You have two equations, with two unknowns. How do you suppose you could solve them?
 
So far I found the magnitude of the resultant displacement. (Rx = 144, Ry = 16, [itex]\vec{R}[/itex] = 144.886)
 
renncat2 said:
So far I found the magnitude of the resultant displacement. (Rx = 144, Ry = 16, [itex]\vec{R}[/itex] = 144.886)
The magnitude of the resultant vector is zero, by definition.

How do you normally solve systems of simultaneous equations?