What are the velocities of the two objects when they meet?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Amuro
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Collision
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Amuro
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two objects A and B are moving in opposite directions toward each other in one dimensional motion along the east-west (-X, +X) line. Initially they have velocities of equal magnitude, 3.00 m/sec, with the first particle subject to a uniform acceleration of 2.00m/sec
2 directed in the positive +X direction and B, which is 20.00 meters away in the +X direction from A, is subject to a uniform acceleration of 1.00 m/sec2 directed in the -X direction.


Homework Equations


Obtain the distance from the initial position A of the first object and the direction of the point where they meet and the time t at which the meeting occurs.


The Attempt at a Solution


For object A I wrote: x = 3t + t2
For object B I wrote: 20 - x = 3t + .5t2

I followed my professor's example and I cross multiplied but that doesn't work here. In the problem my professor did the initial velocities were set to 0, so cross multiplying worked. Can anyone help me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Drop the expression for x from the first equation into the second. Solve the quadratic for t.
 
I have a problem which has a part B that states:

Also obtain the magnitudes and directions of the velocities Va and Vb respectively of the two particles at the meeting point O. How do you figure this out?
 
doby466@aol.c said:
I have a problem which has a part B that states:

Also obtain the magnitudes and directions of the velocities Va and Vb respectively of the two particles at the meeting point O. How do you figure this out?

The problem states that the motions are one dimensional, so determining directions of motion shouldn't be too difficult: they're either positive or negative along the x-axis.

As for the magnitude of the velocity, what is the general relationship between position and velocity? (hint: a teensy bit of calculus).