What Are the Velocities of Two Carts After an Elastic Collision?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Millacol88
Messages
86
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two carts equipped with spring bumpers on an air track have an elastic collision. The 253-g cart has an initial velocity of 1.80 m/s [N]. The 232-g cart is initially stationary. What is the velocity of each cart after the collision?

Homework Equations


I know because cart 2 is initially stationary:
m1v1 = m1v1' + m2v2'
and 1/2m1v1^2 = 1/2 m1v1'^2 + 1/2m2v2'^2

The Attempt at a Solution


I've been trying to solve this by rearranging the equations and subbing them into each other, but I keep ending up with really complicated equations that I can't seem to solve. Is there a simpler way to look at a problem like this? I'm fine with most collisions that aren't elastic, but the ones that are I can't do. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
With regards to the spring bumpers, was there any given information in the problem about the spring constants?
 
Nothing. I posted the question verbatim, and there was no diagram either.
 
Millacol88 said:
I've been trying to solve this by rearranging the equations and subbing them into each other, but I keep ending up with really complicated equations that I can't seem to solve. Is there a simpler way to look at a problem like this? I'm fine with most collisions that aren't elastic, but the ones that are I can't do. Thanks.

The squares of the velocities in the KE formula can definitely complicate things algebraically. Another relationship that you can use in place of it (and is derivable from the conservation of momentum and KE) is that the relative velocities of the two objects after collision is equal to the negative of the relative velocities before the collision. Using variables, suppose that the initial velocities of the objects are v1 and v2, and the final velocities are u1 and u2. Then

(u2 - u1) = -(v2 - v1)

That should make your life *much* easier!