Finding Velocity of Cart 1 in Elastic Collision on Inclined Plane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
ngu9997
Messages
27
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Cart 1 on ball-bearing wheels is moving at 4m/sec. It rolls down the hill and hits a stationary cart 2. The collision is elastic. The height of the hill is 1.02 m. Mass of Cart 1: 200 grams; Mass of Cart 2: 400 grams: Find the velocity of cart 1 at point B. [/B]

Homework Equations


m1v1+m2v2=m1v1'+m2v2'; this is all I can think of but I don't have velocity 1 or 2 prime and I'm not sure how to find either of them. I was wondering if I had to use one of the basic kinematic equations because the height of the hill was given, but I'm not sure. [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution


I have the correct answer (6m/s) , but I would like to know how to do it and I've looked at a couple of kinematic equations with distance in them, but nothing I try seems to work. [/B]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Please provide us with your attempted solution, it is not enough to simply say you know what the answer is.
 
For my attempt at finding the solution to this problem I tried to use the equation: vf^2=vi^2+2ad thinking that acceleration played a part in the cart's velocity. When I plugged in all the numbers to the variables I received a negative radical of sqrt: -3.992 which clearly wasn't the answer. After receiving this answer I looked at the picture of the diagram (which I am unable to provide) more clearly and after cart 1 moves down the hill it travels a little more before colliding with cart 2 and the distance is not told. I am unable to think an equation that would work.
 
ngu9997 said:
For my attempt at finding the solution to this problem I tried to use the equation: vf^2=vi^2+2ad thinking that acceleration played a part in the cart's velocity. When I plugged in all the numbers to the variables I received a negative radical of sqrt: -3.992 which clearly wasn't the answer. After receiving this answer I looked at the picture of the diagram (which I am unable to provide) more clearly and after cart 1 moves down the hill it travels a little more before colliding with cart 2 and the distance is not told. I am unable to think an equation that would work.
Sorry, acceleration of gravity*
 
I know of the law of momentum conservation and the equation m1v1+m2v2=m1v1'+m2v2' describes this principle, and I have a good feeling that this equation would have to be used but I don't have velocity 2 prime so I can't find velocity 1 prime.