What are you doing during quarantine?

• Thread starter hagopbul
  • Start date
In summary: We don't have lockdown yet, so it's just planning and preparation. The hills starting in the backyard (almost literally), so we definitely plan to sneak out for some hiking.In summary, Hagop is from Syria and is living in Lebanon. He is working from home, but is resisting going on a walk because he loves walking. He is worried about the Covid-19 effect, and is reading what he can.
Dr. Courtney said:
The research project continues in the basement

can you use pressure valve to release an air pressure into the water ? would that simulate a ballistic wave?

Physics news on Phys.org
Another end of the day story: an older woman with pulmonary disease calls 5 minutes before closing, coughing, horribly short of breath, feverish, afraid and alone. I'm somewhat concerned but try to calm her a bit and start treating at a distance; I specifically call a trusted pharmacy to deliver the meds right away to her, then leave to go on a planned emergency visit; that visit went pretty well.

When I get back 30 minutes later, I hear that the order was changed between the pharmacies back to the other less reliable pharmacy, that as I predicted they are afraid to go because of the risk, and also that no one has been able to get her on the phone anymore since about a minute after I spoke to her... my heart sank in my chest. In my mind there are only two options: either she's suffocating right now and needs a surgical airway - in which case an ambulance won't make it in time - or she's already gone.

No time to search for a blade, I grabbed a sturdy pen and stormed out the door prepared for the worse; if she had been suffocating since I had spoken to her, then it was already too late. A few minutes later I arrive at the door, ring the bell, I wait... wait... wait...
and she answers through the telecom! Turns out she left her phone off the hook after speaking with me and immediately went to sit in her hallway, waiting upon the delivery of her meds. She had been sitting there since :DD

• Sad
Likes Klystron, DennisN, Keith_McClary and 1 other person
Auto-Didact said:
No time to search for a blade, I grabbed a sturdy pen and stormed out the door
You were going to write her a new Rx? :wink:

Likes Klystron, Keith_McClary, hagopbul and 1 other person
berkeman said:
You were going to write her a new Rx? :wink:
... let's just say I have given someone a new airway before in suboptimal conditions 😷

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes hagopbul, Keith_McClary and member 656954
Auto-Didact said:
... let's just say I have given someone a new airway before in suboptimal conditions 😷
Probably they were choking, or in anaphylaxis. Not ARDS... :wink:

Anyway, I can lose my medical license if I try something like that. But that's a decision each of us has to make in disaster situations. Be well.

https://www.lung.org/lung-health-diseases/lung-disease-lookup/ards

Likes hagopbul
berkeman said:
Probably they were choking, or in anaphylaxis. Not ARDS... :wink:

Anyway, I can lose my medical license if I try something like that. But that's a decision each of us has to make in disaster situations. Be well.
Yeah, on the ICU and in the operating room for other reasons, definitely not ARDS. Of course, I wasn't sure what was the cause of suffocation and in a split second decision, it was the only treatment modality where something could still be done, so a necessary precaution to take which occurred automatically; if it was ARDS, it would be obvious upon observation and I'd still call it in after pulling something out of the utility belt bag.

Looking at the news, I suppose you're at a far bigger risk than me out there, so hope you at least have enough supplies to work with without putting yourself in dangers way. In either case thanks, and you take care as well.

Likes Keith_McClary
My lock down is not nearly as stressful as yours, @Auto-Didact, thank goodness, but I'm sure COVID-19 is adding a whole new dimension of anxiety to your days :nb)

I'm merely work from home which is okay, I've been geared up for that since 1998, and finishing my second novel which is now in final proof. After that, there's another novel to get back into, and some shows on Netflix I've been meaning to catch. After that...well, I just hope, after that, this lock down ended well because going outside without being concerned you're going to catch a dangerous contagion will be bliss.

Likes Keith_McClary
hagopbul said:
can you use pressure valve to release an air pressure into the water ? would that simulate a ballistic wave?

A sudden release of air in a pipe can simulate a air blast wave. Lots of shock tubes work on this principal, but it requires some length of pipe for the wave front to steepen into a shock wave. We tried this in water several months ago in a number of configurations. We could not get it to work. I'm sure a release of air at a high enough rate could simulate a blast wave in water, but one key is getting the shape of the overpressure wave to resemble a real blast wave in water rather than just the steep shock front followed by a noisy, poor wave shape. These experiments with pressure releases of air in water more-or-less led us to the current approach of firing spheres into water, which are working much better in terms of both wave shape and ease of use.

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary and hagopbul
trying to read more , and wondering do you all in quarantine ? or it is over on other parts of the glob , hope all are you safe
thinking of applying to some competition on designing a ventilation system but couldn't find any engineer who like to do some thing like that

Dr. Courtney said:
A sudden release of air in a pipe can simulate a air blast wave. Lots of shock tubes work on this principal, but it requires some length of pipe for the wave front to steepen into a shock wave. We tried this in water several months ago in a number of configurations. We could not get it to work. I'm sure a release of air at a high enough rate could simulate a blast wave in water, but one key is getting the shape of the overpressure wave to resemble a real blast wave in water rather than just the steep shock front followed by a noisy, poor wave shape. These experiments with pressure releases of air in water more-or-less led us to the current approach of firing spheres into water, which are working much better in terms of both wave shape and ease of use.

Apart from the quality of the original waveform in air, maybe it's got something to do with impedance matching between air and water. A mismatch would result in most of the energy being reflected back from the air-water interface.

Intuitively, it seems that a shock tube with its diameter tapering down, would bring the impedance up to that of a pressure wave in water and result in better energy transfer. Something like a trumpet in reverse.

The challenge would be to optimize the interface impedance and group delay at the same time.

Likes hagopbul
Uno with chicken.jpg

• Haha
Likes DennisN, Auto-Didact, hagopbul and 3 others
Dr. Courtney said:
... The other son continues his computational research remotely with his research adviser.

The research project continues in the basement, most recently creating underwater blast waves (ballistic waves really) by shooting a bb gun from Walmart into a 300 gallon stock tank.

View attachment 259775

If it's ok to share the goal of the research, I'm sure many of us would be interested to know a bit more. I presume that some kind of nonlinear effects are being studied? I ask this because if they are only interested in propagation effects in the linear regime, then they could have used some kind of transducer to launch a pulse and then measure it at the other end.

Likes hagopbul
Swamp Thing said:
If it's ok to share the goal of the research, I'm sure many of us would be interested to know a bit more. I presume that some kind of nonlinear effects are being studied? I ask this because if they are only interested in propagation effects in the linear regime, then they could have used some kind of transducer to launch a pulse and then measure it at the other end.

You mean like a lithotriptor?

The goal of most underwater blast wave research is to understand the response of some material or organism to a blast wave of given magnitude and pulse duration.

For example, explosives are often used for underwater oil well removals and other things. An important question is what level of blast wave is injurious to various kinds of marine life. If one can simulate an underwater blast wave in the lab that has the representative magnitude and pulse duration, then one can more easily conduct experiments to quantify injury thresholds. The shock waves produced by lithotriptors are on the short side (a couple microseconds) and very small in spatial extent.

The door may also be open to testing the effectiveness of barriers for underwater blast waves. For example, a bubble curtain has been proposed as a possible protective barrier to protect marine life from underwater explosions. One might also test proposed protective equipment for Navy seals and other divers as well as various proposed wearable sensors.

• Informative
Likes hagopbul and Swamp Thing
Dr. Courtney said:
The goal of most underwater blast wave research

could you use electric discharge to create a bubble in a very fast processes but i don't know the shape of the electrodes or the specific design of the transformer that you should use there is a lot of other methods that can come in mind but you are at home so it is hard to implement
stay safe

Likes Dr. Courtney
I am suppose to write this essay for the FQXI contest, but procrastinating. One more youtube, one more PF thead, oh hell I will watch one more stupid netflix endless series, then one more, what a life.

ftr said:
procrastinating

the same here but i finish 50 % of on book 2 chapters of another and 28 pages from 70 other
but then run out of energy

Likes ftr and Keith_McClary
What are you doing today?
Nothing much.​
But you did that yesterday!
Haven't finished yet.​

• Haha
Likes collinsmark, DennisN, Keith_McClary and 1 other person
hagopbul said:
run out of energy
Yes sure, sitting for a long time you can lose muscle. That is why I invent a need to go to the pharmacy which is the only non supermarket entity that is open. But then, I see all the people with masks who look like aliens in a horror movie, that makes me rush back to the safety of my home office.

• Haha
Likes Klystron and hagopbul
you could walk around your house

hagopbul said:
you could walk around your house
Ya, somebody send me a subway map that the stops included the kitchen, the bedroom, the bathroom...etc

• Haha
Likes DennisN and hagopbul
ftr said:
Ya, somebody send me a subway map that the stops included the kitchen, the bedroom, the bathroom...etc

sorry around your block (neighborhood ,area,..,etc)

Salvador Dali, the artist whose 'melting' painting depicted in the poster reproduced in the above post, stated he learned to capture realistic detail by painting bread. His early still lives and portraits often include bread and other edibles. Dali painted two versions of The Madonna of Port Lligat. I remember a version with the Child replaced by a loaf of whole grain bread but can not find a reproduction on the Inet.

1586125102328.png

The version in the link has the ubiquitous sea urchins and some sweet roles. @DennisN 's second photo really captures Dali's intent. Note these photos fail to capture the realism apparent in Dali's paintings when viewed in a museum. When the de Young museum promoted a Surrealism Exhibition, the cafeteria staff baked individual Dali loaves and breads to satisfy visitor's appetites.

Likes hagopbul and DennisN
If you're fed up of your own four walls, this site is great - webcams from around the world - nature reserves, the sea, under the sea, animal sanctuaries, NASA - there are even cute cats if that's what you use the internet for.

I've spent the last two days watching a watering hole in Kenya

https://explore.org/livecams

• Love
  • Haha
Likes Keith_McClary, hagopbul, DennisN and 1 other person
a small thing i encounter thinking about Covid-19 is it possible that we are altering the gas concentration in the atmosphere so much that we are creating a welcoming environment (in our lungs) for this kind of viruses

can we desing a ventelator that can suck water from the lung using pulsed pressure difference in the lung that idea came to my after Dr. Courtney basement experiments

but i am thinking of other thing about pneumonia :

could we use ultra sonic weaves plus some liquid (we add to enhance ultra sonic effect) and a pressure lowering vacuum to atomize the water inside the lung and let it out of the patienteven we may use soap droplets to dissolve inside the pulmonary surfactant

When in quarantine, be like Darth Vader :smile::

Darth Vader Corona.jpg

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes russ_watters, hagopbul, nuuskur and 1 other person
hagopbul said:
can we desing a ventelator that can suck water from the lung using pulsed pressure difference in the lung that idea came to my after @Dr. Courtney basement experiments
Designing a machine to pull the moisture out of the aeoveli is difficult (because they are normally very flexible little air sacs), if possible at all. I think the best you could do would be to have some sort of dessicant presence in the ET tube (endotrachial tube) or other means to supply dry air, while still supplying O2 and evacuating CO2 effectively during ventilations. The goal would be to supply super-dry air to the lungs during respirator ventillations, to try to dry out the aeoveli over time.

Likes phinds and hagopbul
hagopbul said:
did some laundry , then waste some time on social media

I'm replacing a sewer line:
P4070002.JPG

• Wow
Likes Wrichik Basu, Keith_McClary, DennisN and 3 others
Stephen Tashi said:
I'm replacing a sewer line:
View attachment 260226
Come to my flat! I had to have a plumber come and repair the outlet in the kitchen which leaked when the washing machine ran. Just testing it now for the first time...

• Sad
Likes Keith_McClary and Klystron
There is a question

What is the common thing between China , Europe , and the USA

Last edited:
hagopbul said:
There is a question

What is the common thing between China , Europe , and the USA
Love of tasty noodles?

Likes russ_watters and hagopbul
No the culture of under cooked meats