1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What basic math do I need to learn for Mech Engineering

1. Oct 23, 2016 #1
    I am looking for specific types of math for Mechanical Engineering to learn. I am 13 years of age and am entering High School, despite my age I know a few things such as functions, limits, some algebra (such as physics equations and Sigma) and different theories and laws (and example Ohm's Law of I=V/R). Thank you for responding if you do.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

For now you should focus on becoming proficient in all of high school algebra and geometry, followed by trig and calculus. That will keep you busy for a while and by the time you're well into all of that you'll have a clearer picture of what you need next.

4. Oct 23, 2016 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Any "shop" classes could help, but be sure you learn Algebra very very well, and also include whatever Trigonometry is offered at your high school. You NEED at least "Algebra 2" and at least one semester of Trigonometry (probably combined in some other combination class combining more Algebra with Trigonometry). Be sure to enroll in a Mathematics course every high school year!

5. Oct 25, 2016 #4

tensor0910

Gold Member

Definitelyt become proficient in ALL forms of math, mainly algebra, trigonometry, and PRE-CALCULUS. Pre-Cal is the building block for Cal ( obv.). You will learn many shortcuts that will help you navigate calculus MUCH more easily. If your high school offers it take Calculus then to get a feel for it. But definitely Algebra, Trig, and Pre-Cal. Geometry is not as relevant, but its still useful to have in your toolbox.

6. Oct 25, 2016 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You don't think geometry is as relevant to ME?

7. Oct 25, 2016 #6

tensor0910

Gold Member

Good catch Phinds. I was responding to this with an EE mindset.

8. Oct 25, 2016 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah. In that case I would have agreed w/ you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted