What basic math do I need to learn for Mech Engineering

I am looking for specific types of math for Mechanical Engineering to learn. I am 13 years of age and am entering High School, despite my age I know a few things such as functions, limits, some algebra (such as physics equations and Sigma) and different theories and laws (and example Ohm's Law of I=V/R). Thank you for responding if you do.

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
For now you should focus on becoming proficient in all of high school algebra and geometry, followed by trig and calculus. That will keep you busy for a while and by the time you're well into all of that you'll have a clearer picture of what you need next.

Likes Dr. Courtney
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Any "shop" classes could help, but be sure you learn Algebra very very well, and also include whatever Trigonometry is offered at your high school. You NEED at least "Algebra 2" and at least one semester of Trigonometry (probably combined in some other combination class combining more Algebra with Trigonometry). Be sure to enroll in a Mathematics course every high school year!

tensor0910
Gold Member
Definitelyt become proficient in ALL forms of math, mainly algebra, trigonometry, and PRE-CALCULUS. Pre-Cal is the building block for Cal ( obv.). You will learn many shortcuts that will help you navigate calculus MUCH more easily. If your high school offers it take Calculus then to get a feel for it. But definitely Algebra, Trig, and Pre-Cal. Geometry is not as relevant, but its still useful to have in your toolbox.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Definitelyt become proficient in ALL forms of math, mainly algebra, trigonometry, and PRE-CALCULUS. Pre-Cal is the building block for Cal ( obv.). You will learn many shortcuts that will help you navigate calculus MUCH more easily. If your high school offers it take Calculus then to get a feel for it. But definitely Algebra, Trig, and Pre-Cal. Geometry is not as relevant, but its still useful to have in your toolbox.
You don't think geometry is as relevant to ME?

Likes russ_watters, Nidum and tensor0910
tensor0910
Gold Member
You don't think geometry is as relevant to ME?
Good catch Phinds. I was responding to this with an EE mindset.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Good catch Phinds. I was responding to this with an EE mindset.
Ah. In that case I would have agreed w/ you.