What book should I study for basic Physics?

In summary: I don't remember. If you found Alonso hard, then you may want to start reading the Mechanics (volume 1) and working up .The third volume is the richest, and talks about some really neat stuff! To my knowledge almost all physics book (introductory) are the same as Young, Serway, Resnick etc.
ali PMPAINT
So, I actually haven't had read a textbook on physics except for Mechanics, and I would like to self-study the classical physics topics.
For my mathematics, I know till basic Calculus(Currently studying Thomas Calculus).
So I studied first "The Project Physics Course, Concepts of Motion unit 1", and I really liked it, but it just included basic algebra, and therefor it wasn't that detailed, and it was old. I read another book(I didn't find its Engilsh version) about Mechanics, but it really just focused on mathematics and solving problems and examples, which is not my goal. I found the book: "Principles of Physics" by "Raymond A. Serway" and "John W. Jewett", but I'm not sure if it would be suitable for me, any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
A standard first-year college text is Halliday and Resnick, Fundamentals of Physics. It has been a long-time favorite.

PS. I wouldn't worry about getting the latest edition if the price difference is too much (it looks very expensive). Earlier editions are probably good enough.

Last edited:
Likes DEvens, CalcNerd, ali PMPAINT and 1 other person
ali PMPAINT said:
So, I actually haven't had read a textbook on physics except for Mechanics, and I would like to self-study the classical physics topics.
For my mathematics, I know till basic Calculus(Currently studying Thomas Calculus).
So I studied first "The Project Physics Course, Concepts of Motion unit 1", and I really liked it, but it just included basic algebra, and therefor it wasn't that detailed, and it was old. I read another book(I didn't find its Engilsh version) about Mechanics, but it really just focused on mathematics and solving problems and examples, which is not my goal. I found the book: "Principles of Physics" by "Raymond A. Serway" and "John W. Jewett", but I'm not sure if it would be suitable for me, any advice?
Try University Physics by Young and Freedman. Or Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday , Walker , and Resnick. Be sure it is calculus based. These are two of the best, in my mind.

Likes DEvens, ali PMPAINT and vanhees71
Alonso and Finn University Physics. Supplement with any run of the mill introductory book.

Likes smodak
MidgetDwarf said:
Alonso and Finn University Physics. Supplement with any run of the mill introductory book.
Yeah, I actually tried to study it, although it was on my level, it wasn't what I wanted, so I chose another one.

ali PMPAINT said:
it wasn't what I wanted
What didn't you like about it? This might help others guide you to a book that you might like better.

Likes FactChecker and ali PMPAINT
ali PMPAINT said:
Yeah, I actually tried to study it, although it was on my level, it wasn't what I wanted, so I chose another one.

It does non standard introductory topics, that are usually introduced in upper division courses. Was it too hard?

Because it is leagues above the resnick book...

Likes ali PMPAINT
MidgetDwarf said:
It does non standard introductory topics, that are usually introduced in upper division courses. Was it too hard?

Because it is leagues above the resnick book...
Oh, I just noticed that I was thinking you were saying University Physics by Young and Freedman, I recently searched the one by Alonso and Finn but just found vol 3, which was just too hard, any other recommendation?(Becuase I didn't like the one by Young and Freedman and nor did I like Fundamentals of Physics.)

Likes MidgetDwarf
jtbell said:
What didn't you like about it? This might help others guide you to a book that you might like better.
For University Physics by Young and Freedman and Fundamentals of Physics, maybe because they focused on examples and problems, and not including a little history, to know what happened so now they are thinking like that or how was the previous models. I'm studying Physics Course Motion in the Heavens, which I really like it, although it is not very detailed becuase of using just basic algebra.

A great reference for understanding and motivating physics principles is Feynman's lectures. There are several volumes. They are available for free online at The Feynman Lectures on Physics
You should at least be aware of these lectures and they may be very helpful in spots for motivation.

Likes ali PMPAINT
ali PMPAINT said:
Oh, I just noticed that I was thinking you were saying University Physics by Young and Freedman, I recently searched the one by Alonso and Finn but just found vol 3, which was just too hard, any other recommendation?(Becuase I didn't like the one by Young and Freedman and nor did I like Fundamentals of Physics.)

If you found Alonso hard, then you may want to start reading the Mechanics (volume 1) and working up .The third volume is the richest, and talks about some really neat stuff! To my knowledge almost all physics book (introductory) are the same as Young, Serway, Resnick etc.

Alonso builds everything from th ground up and explains the why, and how, and why do we even care. Really neat derivation of the Lorentz Transformation. If I recall correctly, Momentum is discussed first, and is used to derive Newtons 2nd Law. There are exceptions such as KK, Irodov for Mechanics. Purcell, Kip for EM. SO you either stick it out with Alonso (1st volume) and supplement it, or use one of the run mill books.

Likes ali PMPAINT
MidgetDwarf said:
To my knowledge almost all physics book (introductory) are the same as Young, Serway, Resnick etc.
So it is only me who doesn't like that kind of books.
MidgetDwarf said:
Alonso builds everything from the ground up and explains the why, and how, and why do we even care. Really neat derivation of the Lorentz Transformation. If I recall correctly, Momentum is discussed first, and is used to derive Newtons 2nd Law.
I finally could find vol1
Sounds great. For mathematics until now, I now till single variable calculus, is it enough or is there any other prerequisites?
Thanks for your help.

If you are looking for a text that is at approximately the same level as Young, etc., but is very different in style, take a look at Newtonian Mechanics by A. P. French. Used copies are available for about $10.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393099709/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It is part of the MIT series of introductory physics texts which I think are very good. (Don't worry about the fact that these texts were written about 50 years ago.)

Likes ali PMPAINT
ali PMPAINT said:

I finally could find vol1
Sounds great. For mathematics until now, I now till single variable calculus, is it enough or is there any other prerequisites?
Thanks for your help.
I felt the same. I am in mathematics major who dabbles with Physics. I found those books wordy and too many graphics. And they were scared to use simple mathematics.

As you can see, Alonso reads “similar” to a mathematics books. No wasted words. Crisp black and white diagrams that are not meaningless. When I need to recall something from any material contained in those 3 volumes, I think of the diagrams in the textbook and go from there.

You should be fine with the math. What’s important is that you know the results of Euclidean Geometry and Trig identities and properties of basic trig functions.

Likes ali PMPAINT and vanhees71
Then try Sommerfeld's 6-volume Lectures on Theoretical Physics. After all these decades they are still among the best treatments of classical physics ever written!

Likes ali PMPAINT
Thank you! Will check this out. I don't think my physics is up to par yet, but these books look promising.

Likes ali PMPAINT
Thanks for all of your suggestions! :smile::smile:

vanhees71 said:
Then try Sommerfeld's 6-volume Lectures on Theoretical Physics. After all these decades they are still among the best treatments of classical physics ever written!

Have these been republished? Or anything to know about when buying used copies?

Likes ali PMPAINT
ali PMPAINT said:

It may be just nostalgia, but I like the old, old editions. E.g. 3rd Edition for R&H Physics, which I think has an elegant layout. In 2 volumes (easier to read) or combined.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471717169/?tag=pfamazon01-20
(Stock image is wrong. Make sure the seller has the book with the exact ISBN.)
https://www.amazon.com/Physics-Part-2-David-Halliday/dp/0471345296
https://www.amazon.com/Physics-Parts-II-David-Halliday/dp/047134530X

Likes ali PMPAINT
Daverz said:
Have these been republished? Or anything to know about when buying used copies?
Hm, I'm not sure whether there are new reprints. If not, it's a shame!

Likes ali PMPAINT

1. What is the best book for studying basic Physics?

There are many great books for studying basic Physics, but some popular options include "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, and "Conceptual Physics" by Hewitt. It ultimately depends on your learning style and the level of detail you prefer.

2. Is there a specific book that covers all the topics in basic Physics?

No single book can cover all the topics in basic Physics, as it is a vast and complex subject. However, the books mentioned above cover most of the fundamental concepts and principles in Physics.

3. What book is recommended for beginners in Physics?

If you are new to Physics, it is best to start with a book that provides a gentle introduction to the subject. "Conceptual Physics" by Hewitt is often recommended for beginners as it focuses on building a strong conceptual understanding before delving into mathematical equations.

4. Are there any free online resources for studying basic Physics?

Yes, there are many free online resources available for studying basic Physics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and OpenStax. These resources offer video tutorials, practice problems, and interactive simulations to help you learn the concepts.

5. Can I use multiple books to study basic Physics?

Yes, you can use multiple books to study basic Physics. In fact, it is often recommended to consult multiple sources to get a well-rounded understanding of the subject. You can also use textbooks in conjunction with online resources and practice problems to reinforce your learning.