• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Classical Which book should I buy to understand Maxwell's Equations deeply

• Thread starter guiablo
  • Start date
I've already done Maxwell's equations in class but I would like another point of view, and to have a physical reference to check anytime I have a doubt, so I would like a quite high lvl electrodymacis book but that does not focus only in concrete subjects, I mean a book that covers al the essential with deep mathematical and physics treatment.

I've been recomended:

Classical electrodynamics by Jhon David Jackson
The typical feyman lectures
Electricity and Magnetism by Nayfeh and Brussel
Principles of Electrodynamics by Schwartz

I would like to hear you opinions, on which book you think is the best and why.

[Mentors' note: This post has been edited to remove some discussion of which of these books can be most easily stolen.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackson’s book is all you need for classical electrodynamics, it’s about as comprehensive as a textbook can get. However if you’re looking to understand Electrodynamics on a more fundamental level...you’ll need a QFT text for that.

vanhees71

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Well, Jackson is great, but I think a very important point is to get a more modern view on the foundations, i.e., the relativistic description. Schwartz is an excellent source for this. Then there's of course Landau&Lifshitz vol. 2, which comes to the point much quicker ;-)).

marcusl

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I love Schwartz’s book, but it is not as comprehensive as Jackson or L&L. Use it as a supplement. If you choose L&L instead, then you need to add Electrodynamics of Continuous Media (vol. 8) to vol. 2 (Classical Theory of Fields), to fully cover E&M.

Cryo

Gold Member
I also support Jackson. The book has a lot of details and also takes time to develop at most of the necessary maths.

Well Schwartz is good for a first foray into classical electrodynamics at the undergrad level, Jackson is much more advanced and does not hold back on the mathematics.

Cryo

Gold Member
Well Schwartz is good for a first foray into classical electrodynamics at the undergrad level, Jackson is much more advanced and does not hold back on the mathematics.

I think OP specifically mentioned:

I mean a book that covers al the essential with deep mathematical and physics treatment.

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Jackson’s book is all you need for classical electrodynamics, it’s about as comprehensive as a textbook can get. However if you’re looking to understand Electrodynamics on a more fundamental level...you’ll need a QFT text for that.
I don't really know what you mean by QFT, I'm not english so maybe it's an abreviation i haven't used, can someone translate it for a poor boy like me, tyy.

Well it seems I'll go for Jackson's one then, and I'll try to get Schwartz aswell in the future, thanks a lot.

P.d. any one know Inteoduction to Electrodynamics by David J.Griffiths? Any thought?

BvU

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
don't really know what you mean by QFT
A little googling can change that.

Griffiths is good -- Jackson may be too ambitious.

A little googling can change that.
Done, I get it, Jackson will be, I thought it was some type of techical term.

Well Im quite an ambitious person soo, I'll check Griffith's in the library but i think I'm gonna keep with Jackson's ty

vanhees71

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Griffith's electrodynamics book is a pretty good introductory textbook.