Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What can i do to keep more of my sales comission from tax?

  1. Jun 20, 2006 #1

    i am going to be getting sales commission on our projects at my company and I want to know what kind of tax strategy will be best for me. My employer is willing to pay that commission in whatever way I prefer...so I am wondering if anyone has any advice for me as to how I can avoid having a huge chunk of my commissions taken by taxes.

    near $30k every year is getting taken out of my paychecks...im fine contributing for worthy causes and helping the underpriviledged...but come on! most of this money is going to the "war" on iraq anyway. :(

    i would greatly appreciate any help!

    thank you!

  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2006 #2
    Are you being paid as an independent contractor (1099) or as a regular employee? What type of contributions (pre-tax/post-tax) are you making to an IRA or 401K?
  4. Jun 20, 2006 #3


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    This is probably better suited for a financial forum.
  5. Jun 21, 2006 #4
    What you could do is to transfer the money through some off-shore cayman accounts, re-route it through the coruptive parts of northern siberia. The more transfers you make, the harder it is to follow the money trail, especially if it is via unofficial channels. Your best bet is to do it via a computer.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  6. Jun 21, 2006 #5
    If the commission isn't money you're going to miss (judging from what you say is taken out of your paycheck, I'd guess this is the case), I'd turn the commission into a 401(k) contribution or stick it into an IRA. Otherwise I think you'll probably get better answers consulting with a financial planner.
  7. Jun 21, 2006 #6
    If you are on sallary you will be taxed at source (AFAIK), so u cant do anything. If you are Independent or have your own Company then you can minimise the amount of tax you pay legally... So what are you?
  8. Jun 23, 2006 #7


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

    Buy rental property and deduct the mortgage interest.
  9. Jun 23, 2006 #8


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    And use all your personal expenses as "rental expenses" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Within reason of course...

    I mean.... don't cheat on your taxes
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook