Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics What Can You Do With An Applied Physics Dregree

  1. Sep 24, 2017 #1
    I am applying to universities soon and the one subject that I would like to have in any area of study is physics, if I were to study pure physics than I would specialize in applied physics. I know that there aren't many jobs in specifically research areas which would be a dream job, so what types of jobs outside of research but still within a physics related field are there for someone with an applied physics degree
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2017 #2


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    I think you might find a job within some electronics fields if you have an applied physics degree, because in recent times electronics and technology have been thriving.
  4. Sep 25, 2017 #3
    What country or countries do you plan to study in and work in? What terminal degree are you planning on (bachelors, masters, PhD)?
  5. Sep 25, 2017 #4
    I’m going to University in Canada but internships might take me out of the country and I’m willing to work at any institution that’ll have me, and if I were to study pure physics then I would hope to attain a PhD
  6. Sep 25, 2017 #5
    Another clarification needed before I respond. You seem to be referring to "applied physics" as an option under "pure physics". Is that correct? So, are you distinguishing "pure physics" from, e.g., engineering? I ask, because, often one distinguishes between "pure" science and "applied" science. In some universities (at least in the US), "applied physics" is a different department from "physics", rather than a field under physics. So does your question concern getting a degree in "applied physics" vs "physics", or what field (concentration or specialty) in physics to specialize in (e.g., solid-state, plasma, high-energy, ...)? Or do Canadian universities have an "applied physics" concentration when getting a physics degree?
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  7. Sep 25, 2017 #6
    The specialization offered through the physics programs is applied physics, this is in contrast to the other specialization of astrophysics
  8. Sep 25, 2017 #7
    Thanks for the clarification. I'll leave it for those familiar with the Canadian system to respond.
  9. Sep 27, 2017 #8


    User Avatar
    Education Advisor

    Different universities in Canada have different systems in places with respect to physics.

    Some universities (like my alma mater, University of Toronto) only have one physics department in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, with one program in physics, with joint programs offered through other departments, and an interdisciplinary Engineering Science program, offered through the Faculty of Engineering, where engineering physics is offered as a registered option. In other universities, there are separate departments between Physics and Engineering Physics (McMaster University), or separate degrees offered within one Physics department (University of Waterloo, University of Guelph, etc.)
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted