What Can You Do With An Applied Physics Dregree

In summary: Different universities in Canada have different systems in places with respect to physics. Some universities (like my alma mater, University of Toronto) only have one physics department in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, with one program in physics, with joint programs offered through other departments, and an interdisciplinary Engineering Science program, offered through the Faculty of Engineering, where engineering physics is offered as a registered option. In other universities, there are separate departments between Physics and Engineering Physics (McMaster University), or separate degrees offered within one Physics department (University of Waterloo, University of Guelph, etc.)
smartdude00111
I am applying to universities soon and the one subject that I would like to have in any area of study is physics, if I were to study pure physics than I would specialize in applied physics. I know that there aren't many jobs in specifically research areas which would be a dream job, so what types of jobs outside of research but still within a physics related field are there for someone with an applied physics degree

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you might find a job within some electronics fields if you have an applied physics degree, because in recent times electronics and technology have been thriving.

What country or countries do you plan to study in and work in? What terminal degree are you planning on (bachelors, masters, PhD)?

I’m going to University in Canada but internships might take me out of the country and I’m willing to work at any institution that’ll have me, and if I were to study pure physics then I would hope to attain a PhD

smartdude00111 said:
I am applying to universities soon and the one subject that I would like to have in any area of study is physics, if I were to study pure physics than I would specialize in applied physics. I know that there aren't many jobs in specifically research areas which would be a dream job, so what types of jobs outside of research but still within a physics related field are there for someone with an applied physics degree
smartdude00111 said:
I’m going to University in Canada but internships might take me out of the country and I’m willing to work at any institution that’ll have me, and if I were to study pure physics then I would hope to attain a PhD
Another clarification needed before I respond. You seem to be referring to "applied physics" as an option under "pure physics". Is that correct? So, are you distinguishing "pure physics" from, e.g., engineering? I ask, because, often one distinguishes between "pure" science and "applied" science. In some universities (at least in the US), "applied physics" is a different department from "physics", rather than a field under physics. So does your question concern getting a degree in "applied physics" vs "physics", or what field (concentration or specialty) in physics to specialize in (e.g., solid-state, plasma, high-energy, ...)? Or do Canadian universities have an "applied physics" concentration when getting a physics degree?

Last edited:
CrysPhys said:
Another clarification needed before I respond. You seem to be referring to "applied physics" as an option under "pure physics". Is that correct? So, are you distinguishing "pure physics" from, e.g., engineering? I ask, because, often one distinguishes between "pure" science and "applied" science. In some universities (at least in the US), "applied physics" is a different department from "physics", rather than a field under physics. So does your question concern getting a degree in "applied physics" vs "physics", or what field (concentration or specialty) in physics to specialize in (e.g., solid-state, plasma, high-energy, ...)?
The specialization offered through the physics programs is applied physics, this is in contrast to the other specialization of astrophysics

smartdude00111 said:
The specialization offered through the physics programs is applied physics, this is in contrast to the other specialization of astrophysics
Thanks for the clarification. I'll leave it for those familiar with the Canadian system to respond.

CrysPhys said:
Thanks for the clarification. I'll leave it for those familiar with the Canadian system to respond.

Different universities in Canada have different systems in places with respect to physics.

Some universities (like my alma mater, University of Toronto) only have one physics department in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, with one program in physics, with joint programs offered through other departments, and an interdisciplinary Engineering Science program, offered through the Faculty of Engineering, where engineering physics is offered as a registered option. In other universities, there are separate departments between Physics and Engineering Physics (McMaster University), or separate degrees offered within one Physics department (University of Waterloo, University of Guelph, etc.)

What Can You Do With An Applied Physics Degree?

An applied physics degree can open up a wide range of career opportunities in both the public and private sectors. Some of the most common career paths for individuals with an applied physics degree include:

1. What kind of jobs can I get with an applied physics degree?

With an applied physics degree, you can pursue careers in fields such as engineering, research and development, data analysis, and technical consulting. You may also find opportunities in industries such as aerospace, healthcare, energy, and telecommunications.

2. Is an applied physics degree in demand?

Yes, there is a high demand for individuals with an applied physics degree. This degree equips you with valuable skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and technical knowledge, which are highly sought after by employers in various industries.

3. Can I work in a non-scientific field with an applied physics degree?

Yes, an applied physics degree can be useful in non-scientific fields as well. The skills and knowledge acquired through this degree, such as data analysis, problem-solving, and critical thinking, can be applied to a wide range of industries, including finance, consulting, and information technology.

4. What are the potential salaries for individuals with an applied physics degree?

The salaries for individuals with an applied physics degree can vary depending on the specific job title, industry, and location. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers was $122,220 as of May 2020.

5. Can I continue my education after obtaining an applied physics degree?

Yes, you can pursue further education after obtaining an applied physics degree. Many individuals choose to pursue a graduate degree in a specialized area of physics, such as astrophysics, biophysics, or nanotechnology. This can open up even more advanced and specialized career opportunities in the field of physics.