What can you tell me about the function f(x)=x+1/x?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sophiaqiu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Thanks
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
sophiaqiu
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
help! thanks in advance!

Homework Statement



what do you know about this function:f(x)=x+1/x

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
uh... it's a function?

What do you want to do with it?
 
its limit is 1 when x->infinity
it is not defined when x=0

yeah like christian stated

what's your deal with it??
 
yes,I know,now I want to know how do you call it in your country,we call it "nike curve" in China,I want to know how do you teach your students in maths teaching?did you use the sketchpad to graph it??
 
I graphed it use Graphmatica, give that a search in google and its free.

You don't need to call it anything Sophia, just tell the students f(x)=x+1/x. That's all. And just incase you wanted some helpful info on actually graphing it, its an odd function so there's antisymmetry. and www.calc101.com has a graphing program on it, that might help as well.