What could you tell me about this planet?

• Thread starter cbrons
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planet
In summary: Humans exploring this planet would likely face many dangerous obstacles, such as the high levels of radiation the planet emits. Additionally, the reduced lifespan of the star would make it difficult for any human inhabitants to survive for very long.
cbrons
What could you tell me about humans exploring this planet? Would it be feasible? Or would it be far too dangerous? What would be the biggest problem here? I am assuming the star class means it gives off a fairly high amount of radiation.
upload_2015-6-25_15-23-23.png

Btw TY is "Earth years", "R" is x Earth radius, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
With a radius of .82Km, this would not be a planet, it would be an asteroid, so I assume that's a typo

I'm not sure whether I get those numbers correctly...

Orbital radius is 3 AU, so according to inverse square law this planet should receive 1/9 of the light that planet at 1 AU would receive...

...however Luminosity is 3.5, so roughly counting 3.5/9 of the light that Earth receive should go there...

Shouldn't such planet be rather cold? Or you boost temperature with huge amount of greenhouse gasses? Or I miss something?

I think that if the object was that small it would be some kind of a black hole, (neutron star possibly), in which case a lot of the other parameters make little sense.

phinds said:
With a radius of .82Km, this would not be a planet, it would be an asteroid, so I assume that's a typo
Sorry that was a typo. Should be 0.82 the size of Earth

Corrected:

upload_2015-6-25_20-22-27.png

Um, the prefex T is for "tera" meaning a trillion, not "terra" meaning earth.

The planet seems to be chosen to closely resemble Earth, so I don't see any problems. Increased gravity might be the most obvious issue affecting exploration teams, but more of a nuisance than an obstacle.
A reduced lifespan of the star puts a limit on the time the planet had to develop, though. It only had ~3.5 Gy tops to calm down geologically, develop life and produce all that free oxygen.

Following on Vanadium's comment: use the symbol ⊕ to denote Earth, just like you use ☉ for the Sun, to avoid confusion.

Czcibor said:
Shouldn't such planet be rather cold? Or you boost temperature with huge amount of greenhouse gasses? Or I miss something?
That seems to be within the habitable zone with high greenhouse effects. See here:
http://depts.washington.edu/naivpl/sites/default/files/index.shtml

Last edited:
Likes cbrons
Bandersnatch said:
The planet seems to be chosen to closely resemble Earth, so I don't see any problem. Increased gravity might be the most obvious issue affecting exploration teams, but more of a nuisance than an obstacle.
A reduced lifespan of the star puts a limit on the time the planet had to develop, though. It only had ~3.5 Gy tops to calm down geologically, develop life and produce all that free oxygen.

[...]

That seems to be within the habitable zone with high greenhouse effects. See here:
http://depts.washington.edu/naivpl/sites/default/files/index.shtml

You want to point me that planet is within outer edge HZ? Yes, it is. Just Cbrnos requested a tropical planet with average temperature of +32C.

If he wants a tropical planet around a hot star - sounds legit. The HZ shifted. Big part of oxygen comes from UV splitting water, what speed up oxygen catastrophe. Just such relation of luminosity and distance did not seem for me right for a hot planet.

1. What is the name of this planet?

This planet is called Earth.

2. What is the size and mass of this planet?

Earth has a diameter of approximately 12,742 kilometers and a mass of 5.97 x 10^24 kilograms.

3. What is the atmosphere like on this planet?

The Earth's atmosphere is composed of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and trace amounts of other gases such as carbon dioxide and water vapor.

4. What is the climate and weather like on this planet?

Earth has a diverse range of climates and weather patterns due to its size, location, and atmosphere. Overall, it has a moderate climate with four distinct seasons.

5. Is there any life on this planet?

Yes, Earth is the only known planet in the universe to have life. It is estimated that there are over 8.7 million species of plants, animals, and microorganisms living on Earth.