What causes attraction of electrons to nucleus?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 6K views
ander
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
What causes the attraction between electrons and protons in the nucleus? I've always assumed the attraction and worked from there, but I was curious if anybody knows what the root cause of this attraction is.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
ander said:
What causes the attraction between electrons and protons in the nucleus? I've always assumed the attraction and worked from there, but I was curious if anybody knows what the root cause of this attraction is.

You mean beyond charge? Protons are positively charged, electrons negatively charged?

Is your question more aptly: what causes the charges in subatomic particles?
 
The protons have positive charge, which attract the negatively charged electrons. Essentially, it's an electrical force.
 
DaveC426913 said:
You mean beyond charge? Protons are positively charged, electrons negatively charged?

Is your question more aptly: what causes the charges in subatomic particles?


Yes, that's my question. What causes the charges?
 
ander said:
Yes, that's my question. What causes the charges?

No one knows.
We just observed the attraction and thought up the concept of charge and electrical force to model it.
It turned out to be a good model.
 
I like Serena said:
No one knows.
We just observed the attraction and thought up the concept of charge and electrical force to model it.
It turned out to be a good model.

Disappointing, maybe, but thanks. I guess that's why chemistry isn't mathematics.
 
Borek said:
Actually this is more physics than chemistry.

Right, physics. I tend to associate atomic theory with chemistry since I learned it in chemistry class, whereas in physics I learned basic mechanics. But thanks for pointing that out.