What causes attraction of electrons to nucleus?

In summary, the attraction between electrons and protons in the nucleus is caused by their opposite charges. However, the root cause of these charges is still unknown and is simply modeled by the concept of electrical force. This is a concept that applies more to physics than chemistry.
ander
What causes the attraction between electrons and protons in the nucleus? I've always assumed the attraction and worked from there, but I was curious if anybody knows what the root cause of this attraction is.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
ander said:
What causes the attraction between electrons and protons in the nucleus? I've always assumed the attraction and worked from there, but I was curious if anybody knows what the root cause of this attraction is.

You mean beyond charge? Protons are positively charged, electrons negatively charged?

Is your question more aptly: what causes the charges in subatomic particles?

The protons have positive charge, which attract the negatively charged electrons. Essentially, it's an electrical force.

DaveC426913 said:
You mean beyond charge? Protons are positively charged, electrons negatively charged?

Is your question more aptly: what causes the charges in subatomic particles?

Yes, that's my question. What causes the charges?

ander said:
Yes, that's my question. What causes the charges?

No one knows.
We just observed the attraction and thought up the concept of charge and electrical force to model it.
It turned out to be a good model.

I like Serena said:
No one knows.
We just observed the attraction and thought up the concept of charge and electrical force to model it.
It turned out to be a good model.

Disappointing, maybe, but thanks. I guess that's why chemistry isn't mathematics.

Actually this is more physics than chemistry.

Borek said:
Actually this is more physics than chemistry.

Right, physics. I tend to associate atomic theory with chemistry since I learned it in chemistry class, whereas in physics I learned basic mechanics. But thanks for pointing that out.

1. What is the basic concept behind the attraction of electrons to the nucleus?

The attraction of electrons to the nucleus is based on the concept of electrostatic force. Opposite charges attract each other, and since electrons have a negative charge and the nucleus has a positive charge, there is an attraction between them.

2. How does the number of protons in the nucleus affect the attraction of electrons?

The number of protons in the nucleus determines the strength of the attraction between electrons and the nucleus. The more protons there are, the stronger the positive charge of the nucleus, resulting in a stronger attraction for electrons.

3. Why do electrons stay in orbit around the nucleus instead of falling into it?

This is due to the balance between the attractive force of the nucleus and the centrifugal force of the electron's orbit. The kinetic energy of the electron keeps it in a stable orbit around the nucleus, preventing it from falling into the nucleus.

4. How does the distance between the nucleus and electrons affect the attraction?

The distance between the nucleus and electrons plays a crucial role in the attraction between them. The closer the electrons are to the nucleus, the stronger the attraction will be. This is because the electrostatic force decreases as the distance between charges increases.

5. Can the attraction between electrons and the nucleus be broken?

Yes, the attraction between electrons and the nucleus can be broken through various processes, such as ionization or nuclear reactions. These processes involve adding or removing electrons from atoms, resulting in a change in the balance of forces between the nucleus and electrons.