Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What causes stagnation pressure to change?

1. Feb 28, 2016 #1
    For a real mass-conserved(m dot is constant throughout the system) steady-state mono-substance(same substance throughout) flow , what are the different factors which can cause stagnation pressure and temperature to drop/rise?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Mar 11, 2016 #3
    Thanks. I pretty much gave up on this post. I'm still assuming friction is one way that stagnation pressure changes, and heat addition can change temperature. Other than that i have no idea.

5. Mar 11, 2016 #4

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It basically comes down to viscosity. If viscous dissipation occurs, then the stagnation pressure drops. This happens whether the dissipation is due to the presence of a boundary layer ("friction") or a shock.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted