Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What causes this shell of light around the Earth in this vedio?

1. Nov 16, 2011 #1
    In the following web page with imbedded video, play and stop the video at the 30 second mark (the video is about 1/3 of the way down the following link).

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...the-best-video-of-earth-from-space-ever-made/

Why does there appear to be a thin shell of light at an altitude of about 37 miles above Earth (look on the left and not the right side where the aurora is active, measurements taken off computer monitor). Why is it a relatively thin shell of light? What powers the light?

Thanks for any pointers!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2011 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_%28astronomy%29" [Broken].
    About 50 miles.
    Green means ionized oxygen.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Nov 16, 2011 #3
    I edited my post to make it clear but you responded before I could complete the edit, damn the help is fast here %^), I should have read it more before posting %^(.

There are two, maybe related, light features above the Earth (three if you count the lightning). At the 30 second mark on the left side above the Earth is a thin shell of light and on the right side the Aurora. I was curious about the dimmer light on the left side above the Earth.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Nov 16, 2011 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah, you have to be particularly careful about Dave ... he's answered a couple of questions BEFORE they were asked !!!

(He got them wrong, but still .... )

6. Nov 16, 2011 #5
  7. Nov 16, 2011 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I believe the shell around the earth is the atmosphere being lit up.

8. Nov 17, 2011 #7
    It is airglow.

9. Nov 17, 2011 #8
  10. Nov 18, 2011 #9
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook