What causes this shell of light around the Earth in this vedio?

In summary, the video explains that the shell of light around the Earth is caused by the reflection of sunlight off of the Earth's atmosphere. This phenomenon, known as airglow, is created by interactions between the Earth's atmosphere and incoming solar radiation. The varying colors of the airglow are a result of different gases and particles in the atmosphere, such as oxygen and nitrogen. The video also discusses how this shell of light can be seen from space and how it changes over time due to factors like solar activity and weather patterns.
Spinnor
Gold Member
In the following web page with imbedded video, play and stop the video at the 30 second mark (the video is about 1/3 of the way down the following link).

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...the-best-video-of-earth-from-space-ever-made/

Why does there appear to be a thin shell of light at an altitude of about 37 miles above Earth (look on the left and not the right side where the aurora is active, measurements taken off computer monitor). Why is it a relatively thin shell of light? What powers the light?

Thanks for any pointers!

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Spinnor said:
Why does there appear to be a shell of light at an altitude of about 37 miles above Earth (measurements taken off computer monitor). Why is it a relatively thin shell of light?

Thanks for any pointers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_%28astronomy%29" .
About 50 miles.
Green means ionized oxygen.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_%28astronomy%29" .
About 50 miles.
Green means ionized oxygen.

I edited my post to make it clear but you responded before I could complete the edit, damn the help is fast here %^), I should have read it more before posting %^(.

There are two, maybe related, light features above the Earth (three if you count the lightning). At the 30 second mark on the left side above the Earth is a thin shell of light and on the right side the Aurora. I was curious about the dimmer light on the left side above the Earth.

Spinnor said:
the help is fast here

Yeah, you have to be particularly careful about Dave ... he's answered a couple of questions BEFORE they were asked !

(He got them wrong, but still ... )

I believe the shell around the Earth is the atmosphere being lit up.

It is airglow.

What causes this shell of light around the Earth in this video?

The shell of light around the Earth in this video is most likely caused by the Aurora Borealis, also known as the Northern Lights. This phenomenon occurs when charged particles from the sun enter the Earth's atmosphere and collide with gases, creating a beautiful display of light in the sky.

How does the Aurora Borealis form?

The Aurora Borealis is formed when charged particles from the sun are drawn towards the Earth's magnetic poles. As these particles enter the Earth's atmosphere, they collide with gases such as oxygen and nitrogen, causing them to emit light and create the stunning aurora display.

Why is the Aurora Borealis only visible in certain parts of the world?

The Aurora Borealis is only visible in certain parts of the world because it is affected by the Earth's magnetic field. This means that it can only be seen near the Earth's North and South poles, where the magnetic field lines are strongest.

How often does the Aurora Borealis occur?

The frequency of the Aurora Borealis depends on the activity of the sun. It is most common during periods of high solar activity, which typically occurs every 11 years. However, it can also occur during periods of lower solar activity, but may be less frequent.

Can the Aurora Borealis be predicted?

While scientists can predict when the sun will be most active, it is difficult to predict exactly when and where the Aurora Borealis will occur. Factors such as the strength of the solar winds and the Earth's magnetic field can affect the visibility of the aurora. However, there are tools and websites available that can provide information on the likelihood of seeing the Aurora Borealis in a specific location.