1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What characterizes coil springs?

1. Jan 19, 2013 #1
    I have to write a lab report on coil springs and what characterizes them. So, I decided to use several different coil springs. I hanged different weights on them. I proved Hooke's law. But, I think there is something missing. The teacher asked me to say what characterizes springs. I don't understand what has an influence on the ''k'' constant. I know it is related to the stiffness of the spring, but what in the spring makes it stiffer and less likely to stretch? I tried looking up on Google, no result. All I could find was Young's modulus, but it seems too complicated for someone in grade 11.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are some good Wikipedia articles on springs.

Here's a link to one. Also, look up Hooke's law on Wikipedia.

4. Jan 19, 2013 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The spring constant k of a coiled spring depends on a number of factors, like the material used and diameter of the coiled rods and such. You might want to conceptualize what happens to the stiffness of a spring if you use thicker rods , or steel instead of aluminum, or if you cut the spring in half.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook