What College Options Are Best for Gifted Learners Pursuing a Career in Space?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Justforthisquestion
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello, recently I have been looking into colleges and I'd just like someone who has some experience to give some ideas! Thank you in advance for any responses!

A bit of background.
I am 18, turning 19 in June and I would say I am a gifted person when it comes to learning. I love to learn and I learn quickly. Not too great when it comes to writing (as I'm sure you'll probably know after reading this) but I enjoy math and science. I ended up dropping out of high school for personal reasons. But now that I went off and got my GED I'm ready to continue my education into something space related. My current plan was to head to a local community college for a year or two with a focus on math and physics to lay out some basics, then try to get into a decent college for something more focused.

I don't know where to start when it comes to trying to decide a particular area of study or what the options even are other than a very few. I have no clue if what I'm doing is a good or bad idea. If you have any ideas or suggestions please share!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Justforthisquestion said:
My current plan was to head to a local community college for a year or two with a focus on math and physics to lay out some basics, then try to get into a decent college for something more focused.
Sounds like a good plan to me. Since you're interested in STEM, just take basic math/science course plus whatever else is required (something to help w/ your writing would be good if you really feel that it's an issue area for you --- in the long run, writing is very important for most jobs)

The point is, almost whatever long term plan you have, you're going to be taking the same basic course anyway, so don't be in a huge rush to plan out the rest of your life, just get a taste of things and see where it goes from there.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Justforthisquestion
Having passed the GED tests still might not excuse you from the General Education course requirements for whatever degree program you choose at the community college. You will, in fact, need them for your writing-ability improvement. Otherwise, build up your Mathematics courses, even starting at Basic Arithmetic if necessary; but better if you can start with Introductory Algebra, and then continue moving upward semester by semester.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Justforthisquestion