What constitutes general knowledge?

• Thread starter Avichal
  • Start date
Evo
Mentor
I'm a miserable failure in Fashion, Sport, and Television :redface:.
Add any pop culture topic for me, that includes movies, celebrities, pop music. Flash in the pan junk isn't worth knowing, IMO. To me, that's trivia.

Evo
Mentor
Here's a talk by computaitonal neuroscientist,
That's really off topic from the OP's question. The op wanted to know what kind of information constituted "general knowledge", not how the brain works.

Last edited:
I'm a miserable failure in Fashion, Sport, and Television :redface:.
Television is the odd subject here because it's so new. You can see, however, that a person could possess "general knowledge," of sports and fashion without knowing anything about what's currently fashionable, or who won last years Lisab Cup in long distance armadillo throwing. As a theater major I had to take a course in costuming. That entailed both design, sewing and history, which amounted to a basic familiarity with fashion, despite the fact I never have a clue as to what designer might be "in" at any given time. It was a good intro to the concept of fashion, it's fluxions and vicissitudes. A person might equally get some intro to sports as such without specifically knowing much about current American football teams and star players.

I think my "general knowledge" of television should be ranked acceptable: I did read a book about the invention of the device, and have watched who knows how many hundreds of thousands of hours of it, despite the fact I'm no TV trivia expert. I believe I "get" television. I don't, on the other hand, "get" biology. It's a subject I'm seriously ignorant about.

http://toolooney.goldenagecartoons.com/gossamerclipart.gif

Can anyone identify this character? If you can, you get "general knowledge" points.

Cartoon show about a ghost family with a disembodied hand for a butler...can't for the life of me remember the show or any name...
(googling now)
nope...I was wrong not an Addams...confused with Cousin Itt

Last edited:
Cartoon show about a ghost family with a disembodied hand for a butler...can't for the life of me remember the show or any name...
(googling now)
nope...I was wrong not an Addams...confused with Cousin Itt
Sorry Enigman, no points. Gossamer is an old Looney Tunes character, but was overtaken by Taz in the popular media. Personally, my favorite is Foghorn Leghorn.

When I was a kid there were the Disney kids and the Looney Tunes kids. The Disney kids were a bit more serious and got good grades. The Looney Tunes kids were…well you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sorry Enigman, no points. Gossamer is an old Looney Tunes character, but was overtaken by Taz in the popular media. Personally, my favorite is Foghorn Leghorn.

When I was a kid there were the Disney kids and the Looney Tunes kids. The Disney kids were a bit more serious and got good grades. The Looney Tunes kids were…well you know.
I didn't know his name, but my first reaction was, "The Bugs Bunny monster!"

Looney Tunes :thumbs:!

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo
Mentor
I love Foghorn Leghorn.

Looney Toons were the best.