What convergence/divergence test can I use on this series? - Calculus II

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
opticaltempest
Messages
135
Reaction score
0
What test can I use on the following series in order to determine
if it converges or diverges? Looking at it graphically it appears to
diverge but I cannot show it analytically.

[tex] \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{{n!}}{{3n! - 1}}}[/tex]

Using the Ratio Test, here is I got thus far

[tex] \left| {\frac{{a_{n + 1} }}{{a_n }}} \right| = \left| {\frac{{\left( {\frac{{(n + 1)!}}{{3(n + 1)! - 1}}} \right)}}{{\left( {\frac{{n!}}{{3n! - 1}}} \right)}}} \right|[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{{(n + 1)!}}{{3(n + 1)! - 1}} \cdot \frac{{3n! - 1}}{{n!}}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{{(n + 1)n!}}{{3(n + 1)n! - 1}} \cdot \frac{{3n! - 1}}{{n!}}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{{(n + 1)(3n! - 1)}}{{3(n + 1)n! - 1}}[/tex]

At this point, I don't see how the Ratio test will work. What test can I use on this series?

Should I start off with long division to reduce the improper rational
expression?

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/4656/longdiv7nr.jpg

So the equivalent sum would be

[tex] \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\left( {\frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{{3(3n! - 1)}}} \right)} [/tex]

Which must diverge because of the 1/3 always being summed from
1 to infinity.

Is that the correct way to do it? If so, is it the only way? Am I
missing a simple test that could be used?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
oops nevermind I looked again and it seems u already did that.
 
I would be inclined to use the fact that is an does not go to 0 then [itex]\Sum a_n[/itex] does not converge!