What could prove this wrong? I'm having a dispute with friends

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ducknumerouno
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
94 replies · 10K views
Gavran said:
What about using a microscope?
That raises the question, what does ##\pi## look like under a microscope?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
BWV said:
Is that what you saw of my post?
No. That's the 0.1% of the pixels in your post 84 I would have had to notice, in order to get the joke.

'Subtle' is an understatement. ;)
 
PeroK said:
That raises the question, what does π look like under a microscope?
It looks like a circle with a diameter of 1. The same can not be said for the figure in the original post.
 
ducknumerouno said:
TL;DR Summary: Pi = 4?
I know it theoretically never touches the circle, but does the circle ever really become a circle?

problem-webp.webp


This iterative approximation reduces the area-error in each step, but it doesn't reduce the perimeter-error at all. So, it can used to derive the area of the circle but not its circumference (and pi from it).

See also this video:

 
Last edited:
Old thread but it dives up as a hot thread every time . I just want to say that there are several definitions of arc length. Math begins from definitions.
 
Last edited: