What courses is Discrete Mathematics necessary for? I may need to push it back.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Hodgey8806
Messages
140
Reaction score
3
None of my advanced courses require discrete math as a requisite. In fact, the only course that does explicitly require it is not on my degree plan of operations research. However, is this going to bother me when it comes time for say Real Analysis, Advanced Calc, or Abstract Algebra? I think I will still have the necessary skills for any of those courses without taking Discrete immediately. So I'm looking to push it back to senior year and move another class sequence up a semester each. Do you think it would hurt me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Not at all. The only thing discrete mathematics is useful for is to introduce proofs. So as long as you're comfortable with them, you should have no problem :smile:
 
Great! Thanks! My school has another class called Intro to Proof, and I'm actually 1uite aa bit above that. I've been through Abstract Algebra already, but I want to retake because I want a better quality class. However, the proofs aren't too bad.

Thanks for your help!