1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses What courses is Discrete Mathematics necessary for? I may need to push it back.

1. Sep 29, 2011 #1
    None of my advanced courses require discrete math as a requisite. In fact, the only course that does explicitly require it is not on my degree plan of operations research. However, is this going to bother me when it comes time for say Real Analysis, Advanced Calc, or Abstract Algebra? I think I will still have the necessary skills for any of those courses with out taking Discrete immediately. So I'm looking to push it back to senior year and move another class sequence up a semester each. Do you think it would hurt me?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Not at all. The only thing discrete mathematics is useful for is to introduce proofs. So as long as you're comfortable with them, you should have no problem :smile:

4. Sep 29, 2011 #3
    Great! Thanks! My school has another class called Intro to Proof, and I'm actually 1uite aa bit above that. I've been through Abstract Algebra already, but I want to retake because I want a better quality class. However, the proofs aren't too bad.

Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook