What courses youv'e enjoyed the most?

• Courses
  • Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, students are discussing their favorite courses and professors. Some are currently learning advanced topics like mathematical logic and group theory, while others have taken courses in modern physics and optics. Some have enjoyed courses with brilliant and engaging professors, while others have found certain subjects more interesting than others. Overall, it seems that a good professor can make any subject enjoyable, and students appreciate being able to name drop their favorite professors.
wow! thanks. by the way, trivial question: is there another a on the end of Mukhopadhyay? or maybe a v? anyway i think i know this man, or someone with a very similar and long name!

no aparently there are many similar names, some having a final a, this one not. my apologies.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lester rubenfld looks very interesting, a top math guy and tecaher whose mathematical genealogy goes back to norbert wiener and josiah royce, and who is now especially interested in teaching young people, pre college, our most important area of educational potential.wow this is like searching out good wine, there is so much of it, and it ages and changes!

mathwonk said:
wow! thanks. by the way, trivial question: is there another a on the end of Mukhopadhyay? or maybe a v? anyway i think i know this man, or someone with a very similar and long name!

no aparently there are many similar names, some having a final a, this one not. my apologies.

Nimai was my former PhD thesis advisor, who I talk about in my Journal. He died before I finished. I'm too stubborn to give up on the PhD, so I returned to school last semester.

Here's a pic and bio from Physics Today:

http://www.aip.org/pt/vol-53/iss-11/p73b.html

Last edited by a moderator:
fantastic! i did the same, after 4 years out teaching i went back to school and finished in another 3 years at utah in 1977, after the birth of my second child.

good luck to you tom, you clearly have the maturity and ability to finish up, i can only offer you moral support for the stamina that will also be required from you and your family, if you have one. i am sure you will be successful.i enjoyed the article on nimai, particularly the last few lines. i also benefited from contact with hindu spiritual teachers and learned the unity of all genuine religious beliefs, i.e. those that focus on spiritual growth, rather than the exclusiveness of truth to its own group.

Last edited:
The curriculum that a prof lays out is also apart of the course and this is what I rely on when i need to resort to learning through books because the prof is horrible(or how he teaches the subject in class, eg his voice tone)
but i require the knowledge from a topic and cannot devote time if I have to take another course to replace the course credit.

Granted Canada tuition fees are a lot cheaper than the US(oh how i really want ot go to CMU).

I'll agree with you that a great prof can almost teach anything...or at least make a good topic extraordinary. But even a good prof may not be able to make a course interesting to a student, for example I found Quantum to be boring and though Dr. Donald Sprung is a pretty good speaker...the course was still boring to me). Also I'll agree that a textbook is no replacement for a great professor but IMO is for a poor professor.

As for naming profs, I do email the good ones and tell them how much I've enjoyed their classes after the grade ofcourse regardless of it but on an open forum it doesn't really matter does it?

But if you like;

Computability Theory: Matt Valeriote
ComputerGraphics: David jones
Computational Physics: Erik Sorensen (didn't much enjoy the course but the prof was good)
Astrophysics(2): Ralph Pudritz
Analy.Mechanics: Raj Bhaduri
NeuralNets: Sue Becker
Vision: Judith Shedden
-------
Postdoc/Profs
MathBiology: C.Bauch
Proving Techniques:ZKovarik & Ray W.(wasn't actually a class but a weekly
preparation session for taking Putnam)
NeuroPsych: Bill. Gaetz (example of a class that was good but i suck at reading and did poorly), i found this profs name to be funny.

-------
Grad School
Computational Geometry: Antoine Deza (taught me to think in higher dimensions)
NeuralNets: SIMON HAYKIN (not the NNEts course i mentioned before with the postdoc)...
simon haykin is a vary influential teacher (wish i had him in undergrad.
NeuralModelling: Ian Bruce
HPC- Optimizing Intensive Code : Mark Hahn

Last edited:
Out of curiosity mathwonk, I will list the math professors I had; tell me if you know any of them (They're almost all french-canadians but some studied in the US or UK)

Complex analysis - Paul Gauthier
Real analysis - Michel Delfour
Linear Algebra - Veronique Hussin
EDO - Qazi Ibadur Rahman
Applied analysis - Andrew Grainville
Analysis in R^n - Richard Duncan
Topology - Octav Cornea
Probability - Francois Perron
Differential Geometry - Iossif Polterovich
Calculus - Andre Giroux

i thought some people might want to try to get those same professors in class.

did you mean andrew granville?

andrew granvile was for years a professor at the university of georgia, where i am. i campaigned for him to receive our only chaired professorship because of his outstanding mathematics and his wonderfuly energetic and effective teaching.

he became the David Barrow Chair in mathematics, and served admirably for years before finally accepting a nice offer to return to his home country I believe of Canada.

While he was here he greatly increased and strengthened to graduate program in general and in number theory in particular.

he helped us obtain an NSF VIGRE grant, and also created our first postdoctoral program as an outgrowth of a very prestigious nationwide grant he received from NSF, one given the top young researchers in the country.

his students went from georgia to jobs at some of the best schools in the us, and he is a prime example of a professor changing the value of an education well beyond what might be expected from a state school. One of his students Ernie Croot, solved a famous open problem of Erdos, taught at Berkeley and is now tenured professor at GA Tech in Atlanta.

Andrew was an advisor to the international mathematical union on choosing speakers for the international congres and an editor of a number of the best journals, and greatly in demand as a wonderful speaker who makes the deepest questions seem natural and interesting to everyone.

We were very sorry to lose him and you are extremely lucky to have him in montreal.

Last edited:
yep!

Btw, I wasn't maliciously trying to make a point, I really want to know if you know any of them.

i didnt understand any possible way your post could have been malicious. i am happy to learn about these people. check out my revised discussion of granville above.

Last edited:
As a teacher, I did not enjoy him very much. I stopped going to the lecture before the midterm when I realized he wasn't going to say anything that wasn't in the book. The subjects he was teaching was (rigorous) Fourier series/integrals theory and Sturm-Liouville theory... Maybe he wasn't that motived by the subject, being like you say, a number theorist.

But his exams reflect some of what you're saying about his ideas regarding teaching. For instance, one of the question in the midterm was "Explain how Fejer's Kernal is important." and the question in the final worth the most point was we could choose from 4 different questions. 3 were typical questions involving proving/rederiving results seen in class, but the 4th was "Write an essay on a topic of the course that interest you (provide many mathematical formulae)"

it may be that he wanted to learn this subject by teaching it, and hence was a little off his usual very strong game. i would recommend taking him again though in any form of number theory.

i am glad his teaching philosophy did come through somewhat.

Calc-Based Physics I

It was the first physics course I took in college and it is definitely the class I enjoyed the most over my college career. My professor made it interesting and fun while keeping it professional and scientific. Also, after taking the class is when I switched my major to physics (goes to show the impact it had on me).

try to remember that professors name, as it is crucial to your development.

mathwonk said:
try to remember that professors name, as it is crucial to your development.
There's no trying to it, I'll never forget his name. It was Dr. Russ Patrick at Southern Polytechnic State University in Georgia.

mathematical logic & computability theory
abstract algebra and field theory
organic chemistry
advanced macroeconomics (you actually get to learn real econ in this class)
game theory
mathematical economics
biochemistry
intro to spanish I
lol and women's literaturehated any analysis course with a passion. i used to be really good at algebra and logic though.

Last edited:
gravenworld? what is/was your major?
math+biochem+bus? or mathbiocehm

gravenworld? what is/was your major?
math+biochem+bus? or mathbiocehm

Major: chemistry and mathematics
minor: economics

the lesson of a lifetime of learning and struggling, is that all these subjects are potentially fascinating. the only way to be bored by them is to have a poor teacher.

never give up on the possibility of eventually becoming magnetized by them.

none of us is so fortunate as to be able to ignore the importance of analysis, or physics, or algebra.

my relativity courses ( various levels [undergrad, grad, indep-study, sat-in-on] ) taught by Mould, Balasz, van Nieuwenhuizen, Wald, Geroch, Malament, Ashtekar, Sorkin, Mundy )... each professor enlightened me with unique viewpoints on the subject.

young people, notice the experts here have taken advantage of many many learning experiences and teachers.

Analysis - Ozvath, although he is getting old. I wish I have him when he was younger, then I would have ask a lot more questions.
Vector Calculus - Ramakrishna. He was the first professor of mine who did not follow the standard topics and teach the course entirely from differential forms.
Applied Maths - Ramakrishna. In this course, he basically taught from books. But since he uses those results a lot he gave personal insight about topics.

my favorite courses that I have had so far are in order:

1) Modern Physics
2) Fluid Mechanics
3) Thermodynamics

mathwonk said:
i enjoyed the article on nimai, particularly the last few lines. i also benefited from contact with hindu spiritual teachers and learned the unity of all genuine religious beliefs, i.e. those that focus on spiritual growth, rather than the exclusiveness of truth to its own group.

I like too

Honours Calculus I (Math), The Ancient World (Classics), Metaphysics (Philosophy), Epistemology (Philosophy), Philosophy of Space and Time (Philosophy), Introductory Particle Physics (Physics), Physical Cosmology (Astrophysics), Special Projects (Physics Research)

In my major/area of interest:

1. Combinatorics
2. Linear Algebra
3. Calculus II
4. Theory of Computation
5. Object Oriented Programming

All of these courses were taught by great professors and were the right level of rigor for me at the time, so I learned a lot and was sufficiently challenged. Of course, two or three of my courses from this semester (Linear Algebra II, Graph Theory, and Topology) might earn a spot of their own in a few months.

Other courses I quite liked:

1. Cinema Survey
2. Film Adaptations
3. Survey of Rock Music
4. Science Fiction Literature
5. Microeconomics

Caramon said:
Honours Calculus I (Math), The Ancient World (Classics), Metaphysics (Philosophy), Epistemology (Philosophy), Philosophy of Space and Time (Philosophy), Introductory Particle Physics (Physics), Physical Cosmology (Astrophysics), Special Projects (Physics Research)
Since we're at the same institution, then I guess that means you'd recommend this course? I'm namely thinking of taking it next year (sophomore), although I'm not completely sure I want to waste credits and time on Arts courses :smile:

I enjoyed QM last semester. The professor was a TA for Feynman at Cornell. I thought that was interesting.

Portfolio Optimization - Michael Best

best class ever =D!

Undergrad (UMD-College Park)
Stellar Structure and Evolution: J.P. Harrington
High Energy Astrophysics: Cole Miller
Computational Astrophysics: Massimo Ricotti
Solar System: Doug Hamilton
Quantum II: Dieter Brill
Classical Mechanics: Z. Chacko
Differential Geometry: William Goldman
Intermediate EM: Ted Jacobson
String Theory: Sylvester James Gates

I also had Professor Brill for quantum I, but I took that class too early. I was not ready for it, so I didn't get a lot out of the class. I took quantum II a year later, and it was great. And Cole eventually became my honors thesis advisor (neutron stars!). Both him and Professor Hamilton really enjoyed acquiring hydrogen filled balloons and blowing them up in class. Professor Harrington seemed really boring at first, but he would surprise you with an extremely dry sense of humor, and clearly loved the subject.

Professor Jacobson was sort of standard while presenting material out of the book, but he gave interesting examples. He would always say something like, "I was reading the other day, and found something interesting..." It kept the class interesting. He came into an SPS meeting and was supposed to talk about his research, but he spent most of the time talking about "a subject he finds more interesting than his own research (theoretical GR)."

My string theory course wasn't really a standard undergraduate course on the material (if such a thing is standard). He used his own notes, and was a very engaging lecturer. Unfortunately, he missed around 6-8 lectures, since he was busy advising President Obama. I suppose I can't blame him. His post-doc filled in for him, and we had a good rapport with him.

Grad (CUNY)
I've only had one semester, so far, but I really liked my quantum (Leon Cohen) and classical mechanics (Tobias Schaefer).

But really, I don't think there was a physics/astronomy course I didn't like. There were some math courses that were presented poorly. It turned me off math for a couple years, but now I want to take more classes after seeing Ed Witten and Sir Michael Atiyah give talks.

Edit: Forgot the first! In high school, I took an astronomy course with a very passionate teacher. He was actually simultaneously working on his Ph.D. (astrophysics) while teaching high school. I was thinking physics/math at that time, but just had to go back to astronomy after that class.

Last edited: