Jonathan212 said:
What I was really asking was what the V-I curve of a lead-acid battery is beyond 12 V.
As I say, these people have done all the hard work for you (see graphs below). Now, you could run the programmes below with a bench power supply, but pressing a button and letting a microcontroller do the work is a lot easier.
Regarding ‘boiling’ - this is a loose term referring to the off-gassing of hydrogen, oxygen, hydrogen sulphide and others when a battery is being charged, especially with an elevated voltage. It doesn’t mean heating the electrolyte to boiling point in this context. You’ll hear and sometimes see, if the battery has a clear case, bubbles fizzing up from the plates. If the vent(s) block, the battery can overpressure and burst, showering you with acid. The H and O are produced at an ideal ratio for explosive combustion. Any spark could trigger what is effectively an acid bomb.
Edit: Another advantage to the Ctek unit is that the leads are dead until a battery is detected, reducing the chance of a spark. Reverse polarity is also protected against.
I’ve seen this happen to someone who was being careless with jump leads - the battery exploded almost in his face. Thankfully he wasn’t leaning over the battery at the time, but there was acid everywhere. Since then, I’ve always made sure to connect jump leads properly, with the final connection made to chassis ground away from the battery.