What Damage can happen to a 110 pound man jumping from 80ft

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential consequences of a 110 pound man jumping from 80 feet into water feet first, reaching speeds of around 50 mph. While some believe that young men have a "force field" that protects them from injuries, there is still a risk of not entering the water properly and sustaining damage. The conversation also mentions a recent death from a similar jump and the potential for serious injuries at high velocities of entry. Overall, it is suggested that 80+ feet may be the upper limit for a survivable jump, with the potential for crush injuries to limbs and internal organs.
Jimmy Smith
What will happen to a 110 pound man jumping from 80 feet into water feet first? I have done the math he hits the water at around 50 mph. How will this damage his body?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy Smith said:
What will happen to a 110 pound man jumping from 80 feet into water feet first? I have done the math he hits the water at around 50 mph. How will this damage his body?
People are jumping from cliffs that high for fun. If done the right way there doesn't have to be any relevant damage.

The risk here, of course, is that he may not manage to ensure he enters feet-first. But young men have a force field around them that protects them from all injuries. I know I did! Loopy, the lot of them.

Likes DrewD and davenn
A young man died near here last week. He jumped 76 feet and landed in the water. I think it broke his neck.

If he lands wrong, a waste pan and a broom will be the appropriate way to get him up, followed of course with a mop if it is in an normally clean area.

There will be an upper limit for the jump to be survivable and I would suggest 80+ feet will be getting there. At higher velocities of entry the water molecules have far less time to "get out of the way" so that displacing say 70kg of material (water or otherwise) in a very short space of time results in the jumper virtually hitting a semi-solid, and all the forces generated at that time act on him.

In Glasgow we have a bridge that stands about 160ft high at the middle which has seen a lot of suicides. Everyone who goes over will hit the water anywhere around 50-70 mph, which in turn equates to very high g-forces. Not really survivable short of a miracle.They won't enter the water like a cliff diver either, probably tumbling so you're looking at crush injuries to both limbs and internal organs.

Cliff divers from 80ft maybe, but joe normal will get hammered much after 60ft.

Likes DrewD

What are the factors that can affect the damage caused by jumping from 80ft?

Some of the factors that can affect the damage caused by jumping from 80ft include the surface landed on, the posture of the person when landing, and the physical condition of the person.

What type of injuries can a 110 pound man sustain from jumping from 80ft?

A 110 pound man jumping from 80ft can sustain various injuries such as broken bones, concussions, internal bleeding, and spinal cord injuries.

What is the force of impact when a 110 pound man jumps from 80ft?

The force of impact when a 110 pound man jumps from 80ft can vary depending on the factors mentioned earlier. However, it can be estimated to be around 12,000 pounds of force.

What precautions can be taken to minimize damage from jumping from 80ft?

To minimize damage from jumping from 80ft, it is important to ensure a proper landing posture, jump into water rather than a hard surface, and to avoid jumping from a height that is beyond one's physical capabilities.

Is it possible for a 110 pound man to survive jumping from 80ft?

Survival from jumping 80ft is highly unlikely, but not impossible. Factors such as a proper landing posture and landing on a soft surface can increase the chances of survival. However, it is still a very dangerous and potentially life-threatening act.