What Determines Spin State Energies in a Magnetic Field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
ehrenfest
Messages
2,001
Reaction score
1
[SOLVED] energies of spin states

Homework Statement


An electron is in a constant magnetic field with magnitude B_0, aligned in the -z direction. My book says without explanation:

"the spin-up state has energy [itex]-\mu_B B_0[/itex]"

where [itex]\mu_B[/itex] is the Bohr magneton

I looked back in the Spin Angular Momentum chapter and I cannot find where this was derived.

I am thinking that they used the equation [tex]H = B_0 \mu_B \sigma_z [/itex] and just calculated the energy of the spin up state using the TISE and the vector representation of spin-up in z. Is there an a priori way of knowing the energy of a spin state of it is spin up or down in x, y,or z in a magnetic field?<br /> <br /> EDIT: OK. So I think that if you actually calculate the energies for the spins using H |\psi> = E | \psi>, you get that the energy is always [itex]-\mu_B B_0[/itex] when the spin is antiparallel to the magnetic field vector and [itex]\mu_B B_0[/itex] when the spin is parallel to the magnetic field vector. I explicitly checked that this holds for x, y, and z. Could I have obtained this result without calculating with Pauli matrices, though? Does this result hold when the spin and magnetic field are parallel but not along x,y,z,-x,-y,-z?<br /> <br /> <br /> <h2>Homework Equations</h2><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <h2>The Attempt at a Solution</h2>[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the Hamiltonian for a (spin)particle in magnetic field:

[tex]H = - (q/mc) \vec{S} \cdot \vec{B}[/tex] (sakurai eq 2.1.49)
(q = -e for the electron)

the magnetic moment for an electron is of course: [tex]\mu_B = e\hbar /2mc[/tex]

Now you can simply relate the spin matrices to the hamiltonian and see what energy eigenvalues different states have.

for your B-field: [tex]\vec{B} = -B_0 \hat{z}[/tex]
You will get this hamiltonian:
[tex]H = - (e/2mc) \sigma _z B_0[/tex] and the pauli matrix property:
[tex]\sigma _z \chi _+ = \hbar \chi _+[/tex]
So the energy for this particle (spin in +z and magnetic field in -z) is [itex]-\mu_B B_0[/itex]
 
Last edited:
So, I guess the answers to my questions in the EDIT are no and yes.
 
You must use the spin- (pauli) matrices for this, the form of the hamiltonian follows from basic electromagnetism.

For your second "question" , i don't know what you ask for, but it is very easy to evaluate the energy eigen values for a specific state in a certain magnetic field.