Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What did you eat for Thanksgiving?

What did you eat?

Poll closed Nov 30, 2005.
  1. Something normal

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Something weird

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. In the middle

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. I don't celebrate Thanksgiving and/or did not feast

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Nov 25, 2005 #1

Mk

Whatcha eat? I ate the pretty normal stuff - Turkey with gravy, baked potatoes, corn, croissants.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2005 #2
    The usual.
    My parents in their infinite desire to make food that much more fattening yet try to call it diet food did some interesting things though.
    They made mashed potatoes with halfandhalf, sour cream, and cheese then baked it in a casserole dish.
    They made jello salad with lots of berries.
    They also made pumpkin and apple pies with splenda instead of sugar.

If you hadn't guessed they're on a low sugar/low carb diet. Not that they go in for the atkins thing so much but because my step father is diabetic. They still somehow think that less carbs will mean it's healthier even if it's chock full of fats.

4. Nov 25, 2005 #3

Mk

Sound fattening!
    Drupes you mean.
    One time I did double blind taste tests on myself. Two or three sugar substitutes, and real sugar, and their mixtures. I found that I enjoy Sweet N' Low best!!! Maybe I should buy a box and snack on it. Hey, its low calorie!

I think they think it is less weight-gaining.

5. Nov 25, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was in the lab all day...I ate (turkey flavored) Ramen noodles !

6. Nov 25, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Was that one supposed to be low carb or low fat? Do they think baking food makes the fat go away? :rofl:

I've had stuff made with splenda, and it's not bad (sometimes a little too sweet though)...the real problem is if you go back for seconds. Over-consuming non-digestible anything is not a good idea unless your diet is otherwise very low fiber. :bugeye: :yuck:

I had a very traditional Thanksgiving dinner, which I realized it's been a long time since I've had one of those (for years, I've been having Thanksgiving dinner for international students and do it somewhat potluck style...I provided turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes, and let them bring additional side dishes)...so it was the standard turkey, mashed potatoes with gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, green beans, and a no-bake pumpkin pie (I made a crust yesterday for a real pie...today I'll finish making that...I like real pumpkin pie too much to be content with just the no-bake experience :tongue:).

I'll start my Christmas decorating today...as soon as I figure out how to rearrange my living room furniture to put up a tree.

7. Nov 25, 2005 #6
    I had no Thanksgiving. I spent the two and a half hours around turkey time stuck to a telephone connected halfway around the world to the Indian subcontinent. Take a guess who I was talking to.

8. Nov 25, 2005 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Duh, the yeti ! :rolleyes:

9. Nov 25, 2005 #8
    No, I keep in touch with them by direct long distance infrasonic grumble.

10. Nov 25, 2005 #9

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

My husband cooked for us:
    Turkey stuffed with oyster stuffing
    Corn pudding
    Candied yams
    Spinach casserole
    Topped with gravy and of course rolls with butter!

Couldn't eat dessert, too stuffed.

11. Nov 25, 2005 #10
    Deep fryed turkey, butternut squash, black turtle beans, corn bread, apple/pear and raisen salad, cherry/blueberrycobler and pumpkin pie.

12. Nov 25, 2005 #11

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

YUM :biggrin:

13. Nov 25, 2005 #12
    Due to a sudden tortilla shortage, I had Chinese food for Thanksgiving. Today, however, I'm having my official "feast" (which I'm cooking right now). I'm cooking enchiladas and mashed potatoes (my recipe and my mom's, homemade).

14. Nov 25, 2005 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As I described in the Virtual Feast thread, we had a wonderful dinner with the Integrals.

Ask Integral to tell you his Thanksgiving Day joke.

15. Nov 26, 2005 #14

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

No feast for me. My family doesn't live nearby and my roommate isn't here. I ate a regular dinner during the course of a Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVD marathon. I watched all of season seven.

16. Nov 26, 2005 #15
    i had eggrolls, the turkey is still in the fridge.

17. Nov 26, 2005 #16
    fried chicken from saveway. Damn, life suck.

18. Nov 26, 2005 #17

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the first time in the history of my life, I did not go home to Chicago for Thanksgiving. I spent it with friends in Troy instead, and I was in charge of dinner. I was pretty nervous because I had never taken on a culinary engineering project of this magnitude, but I'm pleased to report that it came out perfect.

Here's what I made...

* Mushroom caps stuffed with Italian breadcrumbs and parmigiano reggiano and romano cheeses.

* Lasagne with ricotta, mozzerella, and parmigiano reggiano.

* Roasted garlic mashed potatoes.

* Yams with brown sugar (though we were too full to eat these).

* Turkey stuffed with lemon, orange, onion, and herbs and basted in an herb butter. I also made a pan gravy from the drippings, some chicken broth, flour, and butter.

* Apple walnut stuffing with sweet sausage and peppercorns.

The dessert was handled by others, and consisted of chocolate chip oatmeal raisin cookies and chocolate pudding pie. All in all, a resounding success.

19. Nov 26, 2005 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*Makes note in calendar: Thanksgiving 2006 booked...go to Tom's place.* :biggrin: That sounds absolutely, deliciously delightful!

20. Nov 27, 2005 #19

Mk

What? No body ate a TV dinner?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?