• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

What do each of these variables mean? (Exponential functions)

Homework Statement

I've been working with these problems for the past few days and although i managed to solve them all, i'm still not a 100% sure so i'd like someone to clarify for me

What do EACH of these variables mean? And on a graph what do they do?

a

b

d

c

k

in the equation y= ab^k(x-d)+c

Homework Equations

y=ab^k(x-d)+c

for example we were given a problem y=2-3(5^x+4)...here i was having trouble determining which variable was which...untill i looked at the base function which was y=5^x and realized they are of the form y=b^x, and realized that 5 was the B value...and 2 was the C value in y=ab^k(x-d)+c they had just re arranged it to confuse me

or this one that gave me quite a bit of trouble...

y=1/5(32^x)-4..
How would one know which is which here?
i suppose -4 is the c value...and 32 is the k value? and 1/5 is the b value or a value? and the d value is 1 because there's nothing next to the x which implies a 1.

the 1/5 was the one that confused me the most i couldnt determine weather it was the a or the b value...and i'm not even sure what the b value does....

sorry if this is not the most coherent question

The Attempt at a Solution

the a value stretches the graph vertically, and if negative reflects on the x axis

the d value determines if the graph will shift on the x axis(left or right)

the c value determines if the graph will shift on the y axis(up or down)

the k value determines the stretches of the graph horizontally and if negative reflection on the y axis....

still got no clue what the b value does...

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

Are you sure that 'c' is in the exponent power? From the looks of it, a seems to be the amplitude, k is the damping factor, c is a constant which just shifts the graph vertically and d is just a phase shift.

All this is with reference to signals. From pure mathematics, c remains unchanged, d just shifts the graph to the left or right, k controls how fast the graph rises, and a is the amplitude.

Are you sure that 'c' is in the exponent power? From the looks of it, a seems to be the amplitude, k is the damping factor, c is a constant which just shifts the graph vertically and d is just a phase shift.

All this is with reference to signals. From pure mathematics, c remains unchanged, d just shifts the graph to the left or right, k controls how fast the graph rises, and a is the amplitude.
k determines horizontal stretch, a determines vertical stretch, d and c determine where the graph will be moved to(Although they do not determine the shape of the graph like a and k do)
d determines where it will be moved on the x axis and c determines where it will be moved on the y axis.

eumyang
Homework Helper
y= ab^k(x-d)+c
You mean this, right?
[tex]y = a \cdot b^{k(x - d)} + c[/tex]

y=1/5(32^x)-4..
How would one know which is which here?
i suppose -4 is the c value...and 32 is the k value? and 1/5 is the b value or a value? and the d value is 1 because there's nothing next to the x which implies a 1.

the 1/5 was the one that confused me the most i couldnt determine weather it was the a or the b value...and i'm not even sure what the b value does....
b, the base, is the value that is raised to x, or the expression that contains x. So b is not 1/5. a is the vertical stretch/shrink factor, as you said, and it's the number multiplied by the base. You didn't specify a value for a.

k is the number multiplied by x as part of the exponent, so k is not 32. d is the number added/subtracted from x as part of the exponent, so d is not 1.

This may be too big of a hint, but if I rewrite the function as
[tex]y = \frac{1}{5} \cdot 32^{1(x - 0)} + (-4)[/tex]
can you find the correct values now?

You mean this, right?
[tex]y = a \cdot b^{k(x - d)} + c[/tex]

b, the base, is the value that is raised to x, or the expression that contains x. So b is not 1/5. a is the vertical stretch/shrink factor, as you said, and it's the number multiplied by the base. You didn't specify a value for a.

k is the number multiplied by x as part of the exponent, so k is not 32. d is the number added/subtracted from x as part of the exponent, so d is not 1.

This may be too big of a hint, but if I rewrite the function as
[tex]y = \frac{1}{5} \cdot 32^{1(x - 0)} + (-4)[/tex]
can you find the correct values now?
damnit you are right...also where did you learn tex? It's something i want to learn

[tex]
$\begin{array}{lll}
y = \frac{1}{5} \cdot 32^{1 (x - 0)} + 4 & & \grave{}
\end{array}$
[/tex]

omg... i did that! ^^ im learning tex!