Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do i need to know to move on to the Relativity ?

1. May 10, 2008 #1
    Hello !!!

i would like to know what i should know to move on to the general and special relativity regarding to maths and physics..

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2008 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. May 10, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is not a great deal of mathematics beyond pretty basic algebra in the special theory of relativity. The general theory, however, requires differential geometry and Tensor theory which, in turn require calculus and are pretty advanced college courses.

5. May 10, 2008 #4
    Besides requiring (vector) calculus and linear algebra, differential geometry is pretty self contained.

6. May 10, 2008 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think that plane geometry and trigonometry are also useful for special relativity... especially for providing some intuition and interpretation, as well as guidance in calculation. At some point, some group theory would be useful. Some techniques in differential geometry would be useful in some problems in special relativity.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?