What do I need to study before precalculus?

In summary, to prepare for precalculus, you should focus on studying algebra and possibly also look into discrete mathematics. You can use resources like Khan Academy or textbooks to help you with your studies. It is also recommended to practice on your own and ask for help when needed.
CoffeeCat
Summary: I need to know what to study in order to prepare for precalculus

I'll be starting classes in spring and I'm working towards a bachelors in computer science. My first math class will be precalculus. Math has always been an intimidating subject for me(my WEAKEST subject), but I'm willing to work as hard as possible to understand it. I wanted to know what I should be doing now in other to be ready (like a Khan academy course?). I'm willing to set aside 4 hours a day for studying. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not look at textbooks in your school library, pick one you like, work on your own and drop by this site with any questions? I don't know if there are classes to prep for precalc , as it is a basic course in most schools.

You can find appropriate books here, e.g. https://openstax.org/details/books/precalculus
You will sooner or later meet discrete mathematics on your way to computer science. This is more or less independent from mathematics at school so you could read about it independently.

CoffeeCat said:
I need to know what to study in order to prepare for precalculus
Algebra...
Khan Academy would be a good place to start, or if you want a textbook, a search on Amazon or other booksellers' sites would turn up lots of textbooks.

1. What is the prerequisite knowledge needed for precalculus?

Before starting precalculus, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and geometry. This includes knowledge of basic algebraic operations, solving equations and inequalities, graphing linear and quadratic functions, and understanding geometric concepts such as angles, triangles, and circles.

2. Do I need to know trigonometry before studying precalculus?

While a basic understanding of trigonometry can be helpful, it is not usually a prerequisite for precalculus. Trigonometric concepts are typically introduced and reviewed in precalculus courses.

3. How can I prepare for precalculus?

To prepare for precalculus, it is important to review and solidify your understanding of algebra and geometry. You can also practice solving equations and graphing functions to build your skills. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with basic trigonometric concepts can be beneficial.

4. Is precalculus difficult?

This can vary from person to person, but precalculus is generally considered to be a challenging course. It builds upon the concepts learned in algebra and geometry and introduces new topics such as trigonometry, matrices, and logarithms. However, with dedication and practice, it is possible to succeed in precalculus.

5. What are the benefits of studying precalculus?

Precalculus is an important stepping stone for higher level math courses such as calculus. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are useful in many fields, including science, engineering, and finance. Additionally, precalculus can improve your overall mathematical fluency and prepare you for standardized tests like the SAT and ACT.