What do the Roman Numerals mean in Spectroscopic Data?

• I
  • Thread starter arthurhaythornthwait
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data Mean
In summary, in spectroscopy, spectral lines are designated by adding a Roman numeral to the chemical element symbol to indicate the level of ionization. Neutral atoms are denoted by I and ionized atoms with II, III, etc. There is no notation for negatively ionized species.
arthurhaythornthwait
TL;DR Summary
What exactly does each roman numeral mean?
A basic question. Looking at the NIST spectroscopic data, what exactly is, for example, Ar I vs Ar II vs Ar III? If Ar I is unionised Argon, then is Ar II an Ar- ion or an Ar+ ion? (and whichever way around it works, how do we denote the opposite ionisation? If they are all ionized, is there such a thing as Ar 0 (plain argon)? I'm not aware that the romans understood zero or negative numbers...

Physics news on Phys.org
arthurhaythornthwait said:
TL;DR Summary: What exactly does each roman numeral mean?
Welcome to PF. A quick Google search on Roman numerals in spectroscopy gives this as the first hit:

http://legacy.ifa.hawaii.edu/newsletters/article.cfm?a=517
Spectral lines are designated according to the level of ionization by adding a Roman numeral to the symbol of the chemical element. Neutral atoms are denoted by I, singly ionized atoms (those missing one electron) with II, and so on. For example, Fe IX represents an iron atom that is missing eight electrons.

Likes jim mcnamara
Who was it that said "you can tell the difference between a chemist and an economist by how they pronounce 'unionised'"?

• Haha
Likes Twigg, DrJohn, arthurhaythornthwait and 1 other person
Thanks for this. It answers the question, but as always raises the other - what about negatively ionised species (Cl-, etc.) ?

mjc123 said:
Who was it that said "you can tell the difference between a chemist and an economist by how they pronounce 'unionised'"?
A chef might say you're spelling it wrong.

• Love
Likes Tom.G

1. What are Roman Numerals in Spectroscopic Data used for?

Roman Numerals in Spectroscopic Data are used to indicate the energy levels of atoms or molecules. They are used to represent the electronic states of an atom or molecule, which can help scientists understand the chemical composition and behavior of a substance.

2. How are Roman Numerals assigned in Spectroscopic Data?

Roman Numerals are assigned in Spectroscopic Data based on the energy levels of the electrons in an atom or molecule. The higher the Roman Numeral, the higher the energy level of the electron.

3. Are Roman Numerals in Spectroscopic Data the same as the Roman Numerals used in mathematics?

No, Roman Numerals in Spectroscopic Data are not the same as the Roman Numerals used in mathematics. In Spectroscopic Data, Roman Numerals are used to represent energy levels, while in mathematics they are used as a numeral system.

4. How do Roman Numerals in Spectroscopic Data help scientists analyze substances?

Roman Numerals in Spectroscopic Data help scientists analyze substances by providing information about the electronic structure of atoms or molecules. This can help determine the chemical composition and behavior of a substance, and can also aid in identifying unknown substances.

5. Can Roman Numerals in Spectroscopic Data be used for all elements?

Yes, Roman Numerals in Spectroscopic Data can be used for all elements. They are a universal way of representing energy levels and can be applied to any atom or molecule, regardless of its atomic number or chemical properties.