What do these new symbols mean ?I can't start this without knowing

  • Thread starter Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mean Symbols
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
65 replies · 8K views
vela said:
Do you understand sigma notation?

It means sum

EDIT: oh wait, are you referring when I said that n = k? Oh okay, so the sum is [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{n} \{whatever is here} = 1[/tex]?

EDITING..not actually too sure of the property above. Looking through my old calc text
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm asking you what is [tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n} \binom{n}{k} x^k (1 - x)^{n-k}[/tex] shorthand for? In other words, if you write the sum out, what do you get? I'm asking because you're making a bunch of guesses that make no sense if you understand what the notation means.
 
[tex]\binom{n}{k} x^k (1 - x)^{n-k} = P[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n} P[/tex]

I am sorry for being so slow.wEDIT:writing out the sum...
 
I wrote the first three terms
[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n} \binom{n}{k} x^k (1 - x)^{n-k} = (1-x)^n + \frac{n!}{(n-1)!}x(1-x)^{n-1} + \frac{n!}{2!(n-2)!}x^2 (1-x)^{n-2}...[/tex]
 
Ok, good. So you see how k isn't a variable you can really mess with, right? It takes on the values 0 to n just to generate the terms in the sum. In fact, when you expand the sum out, there is no k appearing anymore because it was just a dummy variable. So you can't do stuff like assume restrict k to just one value to try get the result you want.

Similarly, you're asked to evaluate the sum for any value of n, so you can't set n to anyone value.

Now, are you familiar with the binomial theorem? That is, what is the expansion of (a+b)n?
 
[tex](a + b)^n = \sum_{k=0}^{n}\binom{n}{k} a^{n-k} b^k[/tex]
By observations I took

x = b

1 - x = a

So that a + b = 1

1^n = 1 forever, so that completes the problem! YES THANK YOU VELA, Kurt, and micro and all who helped

*blows kisses*